coleman instant tent?

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Chris you may also look into the 6 person one I believe it has a higher ceiling. Which ever one you go with get the optional rain fly. Also check prices I got mine cheapest on amazon and had it shipped free from having amazon prime shipping

troutman

OK Chris, now you have some good sound advice from a number of members "the bigger Coleman Instant tent and a rain fly" cool, now you have shelter....ready to accessorize yet ? night stands, electric remote dimmable lanterns, foldable corner shelf units, L.E.D. zipper pulls, over head storage hammock, remote overhead L.E.D. tent lights, battery powered hanging fan, big buddy portable heater, glow in the dark tape for guy lines.....hahahaha style and comfort....no more digging a hip and shoulder hole with a bedroll for me !

I hate this tent. I was a former Scheels employee and I did whatever I could to get a customer away from it. If you are only going to use it in the summer where there is no wind, then by all means go for it. Otherwise get a 3 season tent and put up poles like you have been for the last X years of your life.

alboy97xj

I hate this tent. I was a former Scheels employee and I did whatever I could to get a customer away from it. If you are only going to use it in the summer where there is no wind, then by all means go for it. Otherwise get a 3 season tent and put up poles like you have been for the last X years of your life.
Whatever tent you sold my gf is sweet... we can put a queen in it and still have room to walk around the bed.... i can stand in it also.... and i think she said it was like 100 bucks...

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I also know this http://www.apachetents.com/ can be set up piss drunk by one person in the dark. I've got first hand experience doing it at lahonton cause when I woke up on the beach the next morning the tent was still standing strong

Flazer

There is a rain fly available for the all 3 of the instant tents now. I have the 8 person rain fly sitting on my garage floor right now.
The tent I have (14'x10') is the wrong size for the current fly they sell. On the coleman website the fly I need is listed as "out of stock." I have the 10 person tent, my mistake.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
The tent I have (14'x10') is the wrong size for the current fly they sell. On the coleman website the fly I need is listed as "out of stock." I have the 10 person tent, my mistake.
I wonder if they quit making the 10 person one I can't even find one for sale anywhere.

troutman

As this thread continues as I hope it does, it's my hope that more will contribute who have bought and used walmart grade tents. For some these work great and are thrilled with them and satisfies their needs and can create lifetime memories for you and your family, for others it's just a source of frustration and disappointment. We all can't afford or even want a tent that costs 400.-700. but, depending on your seriousness and requirements, like most anything else you get what you pay for. How many times does it take to figure out that inexpensive equipment fails when the sleeve for the poles rip, or the stake loop tears out because it's not gusseted or reinforced properly or the zipper fails or the poles break...now what? I'm serious about my shelters, and can count on them to protect me even with the possibility of taking 80-100 pounds of snow dumping off a overhead bough, or two or three days of severe rain or wind up to 60-80 miles an hour. "If you're a fair weather camper you only really need to shelter yourself from a heavy dew or keep insects and critters off of you". If you camp in extreme conditions, or want equipment that will last, you will realize the value of that high dollar shelter, that's why I say you have to be honest with yourself about your needs and expectations .

I'm not suggesting you go out and break the bank on equipment, I'm just trying to point out some of pros and cons of different grades of equipment without being offensive, and now with all this discussion on gear I want to go camping !

Last edited:

Flazer

I wonder if they quit making the 10 person one I can't even find one for sale anywhere.
Ya, I think they took it out of their catalog.

As for the last comment about meeting your specific needs, all too true. I know it's easy to get carried away with thinking you need more than you do, and there are too many companies willing to sell you that $400 tent. In all my years of camping, I've never needed anything over the top.

That being said, I do have my expedition gear as a geologist, which is a little more than summer camping. Shop smart, and for what you need. We love our instatent. It gets the job done, and we're plenty comfy in it. The main point is just to get out there, and enjoy yourself.

POOR BOY

still unsure of what to get, was trying to atleast get away from the sleeves you put the poles threw and just have it where they clip on, but its hard to find one of those in my price range.