Cracked bellhousing

kairo

Staff member
I was doing my SYE this afternoon, and as I was taking off the front driveshaft I noticed a huge crack starting along the side of the bellhousing/transmission, running up top over the starter motor, and trickling backwards towards the tranny. Fabulous :banghead:

DBXJ

and as before i gopt the rear axle LOL
well what type of tranny is it manual or auto. i might have a bellhousing for ya

DBXJ

ahh yours is a 95,factory tranny i take so then it has a external slave cylinder hmm i have one ment for a internal but not one for external sorry, but i need to hit the yards this weekend i could keep an eye out for ya

kairo

Staff member
It scares me cause it's not just one crack. There's actually a few different cracks, and one of them runs into the transmission (not sure how that could happen). If it was just a little bitty surface crack i'd patch it up and call it a day. But this thing looks like someone whacked it with a hammer

DBXJ

u didnt let tom work on it did ya LOL
it possibly coulda heppend when your drive line broke it coulda caused it to tourqe weird
well best bet would be either try and patch it up or just replace it wich it should be to much if u go to a junk yard

kairo

Staff member
DBXJ said:
u didnt let tom work on it did ya LOL
it possibly coulda heppend when your drive line broke it coulda caused it to tourqe weird
well best bet would be either try and patch it up or just replace it wich it should be to much if u go to a junk yard

it's not worth that much to me anymore. Once I get the SYE on i'm just gonna list it in the RGJ. Probably get a newer stock XJ or a small pickup

Scrub

kairo said:
it's not worth that much to me anymore. Once I get the SYE on i'm just gonna list it in the RGJ. Probably get a newer stock XJ or a small pickup

:eek: Gah.....part it out to all of us needy people

DBXJ

yea man i could probly buy that rear axle off ya this fri and that way u wont have to put in the sye kit i would part out all the aftermarket stuff first then sale it u could make more $ that way

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
I weld aluminum bell housings all the time let me know if I can help ya. Most people just replace them unless they are rare then I fix em.

Connect

Parting out is such a pain because no one wants to buy an xj thats on blocks with a cracked bell housing and the rear part of the transfer case missing.

Or maybe I'm wrong but try ebay and sacramento area too.

I thought you wanted a wrangler this time around, or are you saying good-bye to wheeling all together?

DBXJ

umm see the thing is when u part it out from some one u usally give them your old axle or get them one
u would make way more money that way thats how i did it with the audi i owned and made about 3x as much as it was worth

Last edited:

Connect

Wait that sentence made no sense, lay off the crack. Are you saying exchange his D44 for their old 35 or 30 and put it back on the truck then sell it?