Cracks...

Zebaru

I pulled my front skidplate today to straighten it back out, and look what was waiting for me.

steercrack.jpg

I circled the wonderful cracks in red so you can see what I'm talking about. Upon closer inspection, it looks like someone has already reinforced this area and welded the front crack up before. There is a plate welded to the side where the steering box mounts.

This got me thinking so I looked elsewhere, and discovered that the 'little' crack I knew I had on the passenger side pillar was alot bigger than I thought.

passcrack.jpg

I pulled it into the garage, and started welding the pillar up. After I get it plated and reinforced, it's time to go to the steering box. I think I am going to plate it from the front all the way to the track bar mount, and then up the sides.

I havent really abused my rig, so I'm a little puzzled why they are so bad...

Travis

DBXJ

well your jeep could off been in an accident before u bought it
or it could be gremlins LoL

i wish ya luck on fixin it

EricsXJ

Zebaru,

Some of us use the C-Rok plate (bolt-on reinforcement) and others use JKS (weld on) and others make their bumper bracket double as a steering box reinforcement as well. The C-Rok and JKS are good because they can replace the aluminum spacer between the steering box and frame. www.jeepin.com has a write-up on the C-Rok and you can do a search for the JKS (previously ORGS) one on NAXJA.

I'm surprised you have so many cracks since you only have 31's but then again I suppose your amazing stunts in Bronco Canyon could cause a few cracks and scratches! :eek:

I think any XJs with 33's or larger need to reinforce this area or they will develope cracks sooner or later. This same modification would have prevented Izzy's breakdown at Steve's Loop as well.

Zebaru

Well, the box is solid, and as far as I can tell, the cracks are only on the bottom (for now). The side has already been plated where the steering box bolts are, which indicates that the previous owner had this problem before I got a hold of it.

BTW, Bronco last year was only my second time in the rocks, and other than that and a trip through the Rubicon, it has only really seen gravel roads and pavement. These cracks are the type of thing the 'hardcore' rigs get. I am far from hardcore... I am pretty much convinced now that they are leftovers from a previous accident.

I looked at the JKS setup, and am going to try to make something similar to reinforce this whole area. I am also going to plate the bottom of the frame there as well after I weld the cracks up.

I already have the pillar welded up and have started reinforcing it with 1/8" plate. Hope to have all this buttoned up before BC this weekend.

Travis

Fish Sticks

Travis that sucks
I went with a Rigid bumper (front) that included the frame reinforcement on both sides and a beefy bulkhead reinforcement that ties into the front bumper receiver hitch and mounting points at the frame, very robust. As an option Rigid will sell just the reinforcement kit (bulkhead, sideplates, and hardware) and you them mod your own bumper or build a new one. At the time of purchase I think the kit was less than a hundred shipped.
This kit does not include the inside frame rail reinforcement.

Zebaru

Update...

Well, the pillar is all buttoned up.

fixedpillar.jpg

So I started working on the steering box, got everything moved out of the way and cleaned up, and it turns out this is worse than I thought. From the inside:

insidecrack.jpg

I have read conflicting opoinions on whether the steering box brace (like the MORE one I was running) helps or hurts this condition, but looking at the extent of cracking, I would say that was the only thing keeping my box from ripping off completely.

There is no way I am getting this fixed before Bronco this weekend. I have to weld up all the cracks, then plate the sides, bottom, and top (that inside crack actually goes over the top!). I might go ahead and do the other side while I am in there and then connect the two to reinforce the front end.

Travis

Sauce

luckily you can do all of the work yourself, imagine how much it would cost if you would have to take it to a body shop

Zebaru

I am finally done! This took me alot longer than I thought. Just fabricating the reinforcement pieces wasted a couple of days. If I was going to do it again, I would just shell out the dollars for the JKS SBS plates. In fact, there is a good likelihood that I will use that for the passenger side.

I will try to get some pictures up tonight...

Travis

EricsXJ

Thats one reason why I went with the C-Rok. I could have fabbed the bracket myself, but would have taken time and money for the steel. Easier just to buy sometimes.