Cutting QTR Panel

xjmoser

Ive been thinking of doing this for some time. It seems like everytime I go wheeling Im hitting the lower qtr panels and making my dimples bigger. I was thinking bigger tires would fix the problem but then realized Id just go over bigger rocks.

I found this write up on naxja. I think its the same one davidt had posted on the old forum. Ill post some pics later this week with the results.

Anyone have any opinon on this?

Cut Lower Rear Quarters...(pics and write-up) - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

EricsXJ

I've been eyeing that thread for a while (made a couple recent posts to it) and trying to convince myself to do it also.

Zebaru

I did it and I love it. Being the smallest rig just about everywhere, I need all the clearance I can get.

I folded mine up about the same as in the write up, but I welded the panels together, and then welded a piece of 1/8" plate over the bottom. Of course mine is also tied back to the plated frame, which should add even more strength.

I figure most of you guys have seen the result of my trim, but I could post some pictures if anyone wants a look.

Travis

Connect

Yea you can do it with a sawz-all the easiest, and use bolts instead of rivets to hold it up. Silicon the edges and call it a project. It doesn't look like an important part of the unibody unlike what that guy said.

Zebaru

Okay, pics tonight (I hope).

Welding it together is the way to go in my opinion, and isn't very hard. My sheet metal welding skills suck, and I managed to get it done.

On the unibody thing, this is the point where the outer skin joins the inner metal for the last 12 inches (more?) of the structure. That joining of pieces (and some creative forming) is what gives a unibody it's strength. I have no doubt that you lose some rigidity if you do this mod and nothing else. Mine is plated and reinforced more than most, and I suspect it still isn't up to stock standards. My 'dimples' came after the mod and a trip across the 'con.

Even so, I did it and I would do it again. Just the utility I gained from having jack points on the rear side is worth it to me. I also stand on the light guards all the time to access the roof. For those of you with new and pretty rigs, this trade-off might not make as much sense.

Travis

izzy

i cut off the quater panels on my jeep a while ago, ever since it flopped on its side. i love it alot, get a little more clearance. my pictures on on my web site at photobucket.,

Zebaru

Okay, here are some pictures. They aren't as informative as they wouldhave been if I had some without the bumper. Oh well.

Here is one from the bottom, showing the tie-in.
quarter_up.JPG

Here it is from the back.
other_quarter.JPG

From the other side (My disassembled Buick in the back!)
real_other.JPG

Travis

Fish Sticks

Moser,
On my '97 there is a rear wiring loom that ran along the bottom of the quarter panel on the passenger side, be very careful with the sawzall in this area. It might be a good idea to pull your tail lights and look at the loom location. I also removed the sound dampner pads when I cut.
As mentioned seal it all up with your favorite sealer, I used black RTV and its still holding perfect after 3 years.

EricsXJ

You don't waste any time at all! Looking forward to the pics.

So you just "sealed" it up, or did you weld it? I was going to use silicone between the sheets and use pop rivets to secure them.

xjmoser

Well it took about 1.5 hrs to do the passenger side that includes cleanup of tools.

I did weld it back together. Im not to fond of using poprivets. I sealed it up with Norton 5minute structural urethane. I still need to paint it. I think Ill just paint the bottom lip area black.

Cut%20qtr%201.JPG

Cut%20qtr%202.JPG

xjmoser

DONE! Well everything but painting. Another 1.5hrs. I really like the way it looks. Cant wait to build my new bumper.

Next weeks project: replace rockers :)

xjmoser

this is a good mod. I wish i had done it sooner and save my qtrs from some damage.....wish there where pics.