Cyclone 4x4 rear suspension

Samco Fab

It's not a rockcrawler, but at least it's a road race suspension, not just for looks.
syclonepics013.jpg

syclonepics008.jpg

syclonepics011.jpg

syclonepics007.jpg

rusty_tlc

Denis said:
why not? it connects the frame to the axle and located the axle laterally...
I have only heard reference to panhards in front three link suspension. I'd rather ask an un-informed question than make (yet another) stupid statment. :D

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Very clean work Sam. Syclones and Typhoons came stock with monoleafs in the rear, correct? Those things are so hot, that is what started my infatuation with AWD turbocharged vehicles. :yes:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty Harry said:
Very clean work Sam. Syclones and Typhoons came stock with monoleafs in the rear, correct?

yes, and they are not made of steel. :yes:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Yeah, carbon fiber. Still not as cool as a three link and coilovers though, I don't care who you are!

Samco Fab

Carbon fiber?? I think they were fiberglass:rolleyes: :no:
Those trucks are cool, stock they are pretty quick, but this guy had a big turbo and a bunch of other stuff, I would like to get a ride once he dials it in. He runs that road race track out in Fernley, and those Virginia City Hillclimb events, so hopefully I get some feedback on how the thing works when he gets spring rates and shock valving dialed.

PizzaJeep

what axle is that? the 2 lower tabs on the housing make it look like a 10 bolt.

it sure looks like a lot of clutter and crap on that axle

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
PizzaJeep said:
what axle is that? the 2 lower tabs on the housing make it look like a 10 bolt.

Corp 10 bolt

Attachments

• 0407htp_sy_05_z.jpg
    0407htp_sy_05_z.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 190

Samco Fab

10 bolt is plenty for an all wheel drive lightweight truck, even with a lot of power and traction. Doubt he would ever have a problem with that axle.

What do you mean by "clutter and crap" on the housing??

PizzaJeep

have fun with that ...10 bolt

by clutter and crap i mean the bracketry and arms. it has a track bar on it. arent there simpler designs for bulletproof suspension? why not a 3 or 4 link?

Dirty Harry

Staff member
PizzaJeep said:
have fun with that ...10 bolt

This from the guy that was bragging a few months ago when he blew up his Dana 35. You sure learned everything there is to know awful quick Tony. :rolleyes: Like Sam said in a lightweight street vehicle that will be plenty of axle. Did you know that they use aluminum Dana 44 center sections in the back of Corvettes? I guess that they couldn't fit a Unimog axle in the back of them...

by clutter and crap i mean the bracketry and arms. it has a track bar on it. arent there simpler designs for bulletproof suspension? why not a 3 or 4 link?

It is a ROAD RACE vehicle, not a rockrcrawler. I thought that the suspension looks really clean and offers adjustablity to dial it in for different track conditions, tires, or weight bias. It doesn't need a ton of articulation for the track.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
panhard bar will work great for road race type of driving with lots of high speed cornering. it will keep the axle where it is better then triangulated set-up you could fit in there (and there's not that much room)

they sell panhard bar kits for Mustangs, and they come with triangulated arms from factory.

Samco Fab

Moonbuggies run panhards for many good reasons, is Tiny or Scrapper full of clutter and crap from thier panhards? All nascar rear suspension is panhard, new Mustangs, Shaffer rear Toyota suspension, the list goes on and on.

One advantage of a panhard bar is roll center placement. I dont have all the answers on what is the best roll center height, but neither do the crewcheifs for Nextel Cup cars, so they run an adjustable panhard to change roll center. Another is clearance for items like a gas tank. It is difficult to put locating links where there is a fuel tank. Moving the gas tank would change the weight placement in a negative way, and would be a pain in the ***.

Locating 4 links are awesome, as are 3 links. There is no ultimite, and there is always a compromise. If someone says they have it all figured out, they are generally full of crap. I definitely have some figured out, enough to know I have a lot to learn.

Before you call out "clutter and crap" you must understand that a 4 link and portal axles arent the best option for everything. Ask questions before spewing crap:blahblah:

spoon

PizzaJeep said:
Now thats funny.The builder of the ugliest, most hideous looking, PATHETIC :rainbow: flame bracketed link suspension ever seen on Reno 4x4.com accusing some one else of having "a lot of clutter and crap" involved with their suspension design.:rolleyes: "A lot of clutter and crap" can be found booger-welded together under your heep out in your mom's garage you dumbazz:rainbow: :rainbow: .

MR.ROCKAPE

samco fab said:
Moonbuggies run panhards for many good reasons, is Tiny or Scrapper full of clutter and crap from thier panhards? All nascar rear suspension is panhard, new Mustangs, Shaffer rear Toyota suspension, the list goes on and on.

One advantage of a panhard bar is roll center placement. I dont have all the answers on what is the best roll center height, but neither do the crewcheifs for Nextel Cup cars, so they run an adjustable panhard to change roll center. Another is clearance for items like a gas tank. It is difficult to put locating links where there is a fuel tank. Moving the gas tank would change the weight placement in a negative way, and would be a pain in the ***.

Locating 4 links are awesome, as are 3 links. There is no ultimite, and there is always a compromise. If someone says they have it all figured out, they are generally full of crap. I definitely have some figured out, enough to know I have a lot to learn.

Before you call out "clutter and crap" you must understand that a 4 link and portal axles arent the best option for everything. Ask questions before spewing crap:blahblah:
STEP BACK FROM THE KEYBOARD SAMBO!!!REMEMBER ITS THE INTERNET!!!I BET PJ WOULDNT COME TO YOUR SHOP AND BASH THAT CRAP TO YOUR FACE,RIGHT???
AND IN MY OPINION ROLL CENTER IS HIGHLY OVER RATED IN ROCK CRAWLING.:yes: :yes: THE REASON I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE LOOK AT ALL OF THE JEEP TJ LONG ARM KITS THEY MAKE THE ROLL CENTER HIGHER THAN STOCK (AS ALL BOUGHT LIFTS DO)AND THEY STILL SEEM TO WORK GOOD(NOT PERFECT)
GLAD TO SEE YOU LET SPOON POST AGAIN I THOUGHT HE WAS MIA!!!!!

PizzaJeep

i did infact start by asking a question, and i was not being antagonistic. i think some of you guys need to work on some inner anger issues, jeez.

either way, i understand that since it's a 'road race' suspension, you may not want the type of free articulation that a standard triangulated 4 link or a 3 link would supply. the lateral forces on the street could be greater on those links and the bracketry than off road... but... i dont know. never seen it before, so im going off of what i know the most about. this design seems to be more complicated and less straight forward.

for your information spooge, my 'booger' welds are still holding like champs, my bridges are still in the same place they were when i welded them on in july and the links are in great condition.

my suspension is great for what i want it to do. the torque transfer to the wheels and the handling characteristics are perfect. my only change that ill probably do is to upgrade the lower links to 2" .313 wall DOM tubing this winter when i push the rear axle out 1 foot

Samco Fab

Ape, I think he still has those monoleafs, but that picture with the traction bar was not the same truck, so no traction bar. I can call and get a price on the leafs if you want..

As far as roll center, I think one reason other than packaging is, moonbuggies run panhards is to raise the roll center considerably to give it less body roll on sidehills. It seems the moonbuggies raise the panhard up well above the axle housing, but still keep it level. The old rule of thumb with a panhard is Low, Long and Level, but now days it seems to be Long and Level. The higher the roll center the less body roll, but aparently it gives you less "warning" when it does roll over. A locating link system is more difficult to change roll center height. There is obviously a happy medium somewhere, but different for different setups.

A 3 link with a panhard, like Tiny, or this Syclone has just as much freedom of movement (no bind)as a locating 3 or 4 link, Just with the lateral movement from the panhard. Big wheel travel= panhard bad= wheel flops sideways out of wheelwell.

Lets get more opinions on all this:bs: