Dana 44 swap into XJ - what do I need?

NevadaXJ

So, I picked up a Dana 44 today at the Carson PnP for $52 off of an 87 XJ. I am buying Nick's driveshaft, and I want to install an Hack N Tap SYE.

Will the gearing in the D44 be the same as my D30? The tag that is usually on the diff housing is missing, so I don't know what the gearing is. Eventually I do want to lock the rear, and regear, but that probably won't happen soon.

The goal is eventually to be on 33's, without a t-case drop (hopefully TnT customs belly pan) and closer to 6" of lift.....

Styx

Congrats, I knew I should have gone to Carson PnP:D I saw an '87 wagoneer XJ in sparks with some heavy axle tubes, but the diff was all wrong ( for instance it said 35 on the diff cover).

Last edited:

RWKXJ

I am doing the same swap, good find on the half price 44...wish I had been more patient instead of paying 300 for mine...oh well worth it since yukon shafts for the 8.25 are like 200 anyway. But I am having mine regeared 488, and putting disk brakes on it. I have it ready to go except for the gears. The disks are from a crown victoria(mid 90's--lincoln town cars of the same vintage will work fine too) They are pretty much a direct bolt up, just follow the write up on jeepin.com.
Good luck!

DBXJ

yes NVXJ yours did come from a auto so it should work directly with yours

and i got a d44 to but for 200 from pick and save but i got a limited slip with it should be doing mine soon

NevadaXJ

DBXJ said:
and i got a d44 to but for 200 from pick and save but i got a limited slip with it should be doing mine soon

That explains why your axle seemed heavier..... the L/S should work well with your plans....

Connect

Not sure but I think the auto came with 3.54 gears. Only way to really test it is once it's installed count the revos :)

As far as what you need to put it on... If you got the brakes and drums with it I think it's bolt on with new u bolt's and the old D44 nut plate.

As far as disc brakes go, if your not proficient in doing your own brakes I'd reccomend not doing them or getting some help from someone who can.

NevadaXJ

I have no plans to do a disc brake conversion. I do, however, need to do a brake job on the D44, as well as on my front. Probably won't have the D44 on till next spring.

Scrub

Well actually on a D44 Converting to Disc Brakes is Very Simple. just need all the Brake Parts from a Early 90's Crown Vic. I Just got all the parts from PnP for $40 Calipers, Mounting Brackets, Discs (good Condition), Dust Shield. Just Need new Pads and to mount it all up. Most difficult Part is Getting the New Retainer Plates and Bearings Pressed onto the Shaft. oh and Dremeling out a little bit of the brake rotor and Caliper mounting Bracket.

John, if you decide to go this route let me know and ill drive down and help you do it.

Connect

I heard GM El Dorado discs are direct bolt on, and they have e-brake on disc (whatever that is)

What is it with you guys and getting the D44 and letting it sit around for months on end ;) Let's roll get a move on, I'll help ya :roll:

Norm the Big

Is it the front or rear rotors off the crown vic? I'm not sure if they have rears or not. El dorados would be good for ebrake but I've heard they have leakage issues. That's why I used Chevy 3/4 ton fronts. Are you sure El Dorados would work on the D44? Because if they did you could use the same Chebby rotors I used on my rear disks minus the 8 lug of course. hmmm. Gots me thinkin'. I want to find the Ford 8.8 out of a Exploder eventually. I'll truss the hell out of it since they have issues with the tubes bending. Then again, that usually happens on the FS Bronco.... Lots to consider. Planning is half the fun!

Fish Sticks

NevadaXJ said:
Will the gearing in the D44 be the same as my D30? The tag that is usually on the diff housing is missing, so I don't know what the gearing is.

Pull the diff covers and count your ring gear teeth. It would suck to blow up your new $52 axle.

Norm the Big

That's cool as hell. If you can use el dorado calipers then I'm sure that you could use the 3/4 ton units I used. some grinding might be needed but hell you'd have some heavy duty brakes indeed. Same concept on my 14 bolt:
IM000910.jpg

I'll try and remember to take some snaps of the rear brakes w/ rotors next time I pull a rear tire. You can kinda see them in this pic:
IM001250.jpg

Norm the Big

What? Like your 31s? Tell ya what. If you buy me some bigger meats I'd be more than happy to mount them. If not... I'll run what I've got. At least I've got furnature and all my vehicles are paid for. Yeah.. all 5 of them

Connect

Don't take it personally its just my 31's are wider then those :p Really not a big fan of them although I know they are good tires and what not.