DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK, FEBRUARY 18-25, 2015

mtnhi7

Premium Member
A trip to Death Valley Nat’l Park is being planned, departure from Reno either February 18 or 19, 2015 and leaving Death Valley on February 25. Accommodations are at Furnace Creek Ranch (general store), but could be at Panamint Springs Resort, Stovepipe Wells Village, Beatty, or Lone Pine. Please note this:

December 5: Yesterday evening at approximately 6:30 PM the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office was notified of a structure fire in the Furnace Creek area of Death Valley National Park. The Furnace Creek laundry facility located near the historic Furnace Creek Inn was completely engulfed in flames; Farabee’s Jeep Rental suffered some minor damage. No injuries were reported.
An investigator was requested through the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office to follow up on cause and origin; those details will be made available once the investigation concludes.

The above information is from the DesertUSA website.
If anyone gets more information, please post it on this thread.

Possible trails to be run:
Echo Canyon; Rhyolite/Titus Canyon; Warm Spring Canyon/Mengel Pass/Barker Ranch/Goler Wash/Ballarat; Lippincott Road/Racetrack/Ubehebe Crater. If we run the Lippincott Road staying in Lone Pine the night before would be appropriate as it’s 87 miles from Furnace Creek to the start of the Lippincott Rd. From Lone Pine a tour of Cerro Gordo might be arranged in the morning. This needs to be planned in advance.

[http://www.nps.gov/deva/parknews/index.htm [/URL] telephone: (760) 786-3200

Call this number and ask that the NPS mail to you the Death Valley Backcountry Roads Map and the Death Valley National Park Visitors Guide. They are free.

People who do not have a Golden Age Passport must pay a park entrance fee and display the ticket on the vehicle dashboard. GOPs are available at park HQ for people 55 yrs of age and over if you don’t have one. They are lifetime admission permits for all Nat’l Parks, BLM/USFS lands.

If you’re going on this trip, you must carry an extra gas can or two and your vehicle must be capable of remote, rough backcountry travel, sometimes of long duration. No breakdowns. Gas is available at the Chevron station in Furnace Creek. All grades starting about $5/gal.

Drinking water and lunch food are required. Breakfasts and dinners will likely be at the motel/campground where we’re staying.

YOU MUST MAKE A FIRM COMMITMENT ON THIS POST. IT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR YOU TO INVESTIGATE THE ACCOMMODATIONS TO DETERMINE AVAILABILITY ON THE DATES NOTED AT START OF THIS POST.

Last edited:

mtnhi7

Premium Member
I've been searching accommodations in Death Valley. We have waited far too long to commit and get lodging. Nothing appears to be available for 2/28 to 2/25.

TRIP CANCELLED.

Last edited:

the-old-one

I'm still going for the week of 23rd to the 27 or 28th I'm pulling my travel trailer s I have my house with me.

ScoobyMike

I'm still going for the week of 23rd to the 27 or 28th I'm pulling my travel trailer s I have my house with me.

Do you know where you are camping? Ballarat has lots of places to camp but you have to traverse 8 miles of washboard to get there.

tjunkie

My wife and I are planning to go play in Death Valley over the Thanksgiving weekend. It'll be our first time there so I've been researching places to go and things to see. In addition to the Racetrack and Darwin Falls, we're also eyeing Saline Valley Warm Springs area and the Ubehebe and Little Hebe Craters. If anyone would like to join us for this 4-wheeling/exploring/camping adventure, let me know!