Connect

Denis said:
Bad balljonts
Bar rod ends
Bad trackbar joints
Out of spec caster
Out of spec toe
Unbalanced tires

Exactly... Such fun isn't it? Mine was mainly unbalanced tires but I get a little wobble between 45-55. Hope the new trackbar will solve that.

Samco Fab

Could be a lot of things, loose steering, loose balljoints, and bad angles on steering components. From what I have seen personally, the biggest ones are .. tires with flat spots/weird wear and Caster.

I have seen a number of people with death wobble replace tires and cure the problem. Tires are the trigger that starts it. Also when you somehow change your caster, like with a lift kit or spring over,too much or too little, that can cause it as well.
I have also read about harmonic issues caused by too small of material used on steering components, but I am skeptical of that theroy.
I feel that adding more steering dampener is a bandaid fix for death wobble problems, albeit there is nothing wrong with one steering dampener. I think finding what causes the death wobble on a specific vehicle is not always an easy thing.

JOE THE TOE

Bad siping in the tires at high speeds creates a negative air flow pattern wich in turn creates an unbalanced feeling in the tire's also known as "DEATH-WOBBLE"!!:D

kairo

Staff member
between those last two responces, I think we can draw the conclusion that the devil re-sipes your tires at night, giving you death wobble:eek:

RARECJ8

DW is one thing to talk about and wonder what its like-- but if u ever had a sudden, violent case of DW, there is nothing to describe that OMG piss ur pants feeling, praying u won't crash-n-burn---especially going down the freeway. The slow speeds on a trail won't reveal DW, but get the right combination of mechanical and road conditions (like a crowned roadway) and ur in for a wild ride. All round steering slop, tires, loose components will all contribute somehow. My old Willys had stock military tires and it happened to me often (till we replaced the entire front suspension/steering), so just big meats is not the reason.

Usually a quick stab to the front brakes will tame the beast-- before it shakes ur rig to peices!

Enjoy!

mb

Samco Fab

DW on a motorcycle? I heard about it on one of those many "chopper" tv shows. I would guess it would be a front "rake" thing or basicly castor.

Also, if your drag link and panhard/trac bar angles are screwed up (steep angles, too short or mismatched) they can cause a bumpsteer effect which would trigger DW

rusty_tlc

samco fab said:
DW on a motorcycle? I heard about it on one of those many "chopper" tv shows. I would guess it would be a front "rake" thing or basicly castor.

Also, if your drag link and panhard/trac bar angles are screwed up (steep angles, too short or mismatched) they can cause a bumpsteer effect which would trigger DW
Bad tube seal in the front end. Way more exciting than DW in a car. :eek:

How do you recognize bump steer? I'm putting a 3" drop pitman arm on my new High Steer setup to keep the draglink as horizontal as possiable, that should help with bump steer right?

Last edited:
rusty_tlc said:
Ever heard of DW on a motorcycle?

death wobble on a motor cycle!!!

I was out at Black Rock on my dirt bike... 5th gear pinned when I got Death Wobble!!! not fun:no: ... I ate it so hard!! Luckily there is no rocks out there and it is so flat I just slid on my back for about 100'
Trying to hold onto the handle bars while they are whipping back and forth hurt more than the crash!! My arms felt like JELLO!!!!

Then I realized why all the enduro racers have steering dampners.:slap:

Last edited: