Dog Valley OHV restrictions

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Looks like you need California registration now. Not my photo. I received it through the grapevine.

9b6f5a3e40bada60f40add841aedd121.jpg

zadar

Ranger stopped me last year on Henness road when I was in SxS on the way to Stampede and told me I should not be on that road.

RARECJ8

Spoke with Sierra county sheriff tonight. The top guy called me back. Street legal vehicles are always welcome but sxs, not so much.

carbonunit

I ran into this last year up around Jackson Meadows. Sheriff is patrolling more and was handing out tickets to SxS owners. More signs going up saying street legal vehicles only. Henness pass past the dam to bowman and the road to Sawmill / beyond is off limits. The MUV Maps you can access show many roads are off limits. There is a special designation during hunting season and snowmobile season. Not a lot of love for SxSs out there.

zadar

I ran into this last year up around Jackson Meadows. Sheriff is patrolling more and was handing out tickets to SxS owners. More signs going up saying street legal vehicles only. Henness pass past the dam to bowman and the road to Sawmill / beyond is off limits. The MUV Maps you can access show many roads are off limits. There is a special designation during hunting season and snowmobile season. Not a lot of love for SxSs out there.
Makes no sense, there is big ohv parking right on Hennessy.

As a dirt biker, I think the increased restrictions on SxS is good, especially as the community in Verdi grows and we see more large, fast off road vehicles entering the area. SxS are fun, but the super high performance ones tearing up and down the fire roads are super dangerous to slower moving vehicles, or even fast moving dirt bikes. I paid a lot of money and effort to get my bike plated, SxS’s need to follow the same rules and contribute if they want access to the trails.

All though I do see it is a detriment to those who would drive up there in there hunting rigs scouting or whatever, but there are lots of other ways to access dog valley road, and hopefully the rangers aren’t hiding in there deep, just getting the easy tickets at the main parking lots or access.

Last edited:

zadar

As a dirt biker, I think the increased restrictions on SxS is good, especially as the community in Verdi grows and we see more large, fast off road vehicles entering the area. SxS are fun, but the super high performance ones tearing up and down the fire roads are super dangerous to slower moving vehicles, or even fast moving dirt bikes. I paid a lot of money and effort to get my bike plated, SxS’s need to follow the same rules and contribute if they want access to the trails.

All though I do see it is a detriment to those who would drive up there in there hunting rigs scouting or whatever, but there are lots of other ways to access dog valley road, and hopefully the rangers aren’t hiding in there deep, just getting the easy tickets at the main parking lots or access.
Why you single out SxS? Any off road vehicle can go fast. Dirt bike is not any slower. At same speed SxS is safer than any of them.
Those roads have speed limit, it is not vehicle that is problem but operator if somebody is riding unsafe.
This law is basically saying this dirt roads are highways and only street legal vehicle can be on it. They should at least pave it before enforcing this law :)

As a dirt biker, I think the increased restrictions on SxS is good, especially as the community in Verdi grows and we see more large, fast off road vehicles entering the area. SxS are fun, but the super high performance ones tearing up and down the fire roads are super dangerous to slower moving vehicles, or even fast moving dirt bikes.
Why you single out SxS? Any off road vehicle can go fast. Dirt bike is not any slower. At same speed SxS is safer than any of them.
Those roads have speed limit, it is not vehicle that is problem but operator if somebody is riding unsafe.
This law is basically saying this dirt roads are highways and only street legal vehicle can be on it. They should at least pave it before enforcing this law :)
I single out high performance SxS’s because anybody with a big checkbook can get a super high performance, long travel off road race car essentially that can do 60 mph up a fire road no problem.
And yes, it is of course the operator, not the machine. But I do believe for other off road sports there is a barrier to entry that forces people to spend some time off road, learn some etiquette (hopefully), etc.

But I am also aware that noisy, speedy dirt bikers are also not always well received 😁

And I wonder if they are having problems with people coming up more from the stampede side? Lots of campsites over there, maybe it’s turning into a bit more of an off road campground?

Kind of surprising that this is a county road that limits off road travel though, I agree. It certainly seems like an off road route to me!

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I single out high performance SxS’s because anybody with a big checkbook can get a super high performance, long travel off road race car essentially that can do 60 mph up a fire road no problem.
And yes, it is of course the operator, not the machine. But I do believe for other off road sports there is a barrier to entry that forces people to spend some time off road, learn some etiquette (hopefully), etc.

But I am also aware that noisy, speedy dirt bikers are also not always well received

And I wonder if they are having problems with people coming up more from the stampede side? Lots of campsites over there, maybe it’s turning into a bit more of an off road campground?

Kind of surprising that this is a county road that limits off road travel though, I agree. It certainly seems like an off road route to me!

County road means it requires registration. You can’t drive you motorcycle down Pyramid Highway or Winnemucca Ranch Road legally. Same thing. Street legal means street legal not ‘ah just use it cuz everyone does and it’s easier for me instead of needing to drive all that way THEN unload when I can just do it here.’

zadar

County road means it requires registration. You can’t drive you motorcycle down Pyramid Highway or Winnemucca Ranch Road legally. Same thing. Street legal means street legal not ‘ah just use it cuz everyone does and it’s easier for me instead of needing to drive all that way THEN unload when I can just do it here.’

NRS 490.090  

2.  A person may operate an off-highway vehicle on a paved highway that is not otherwise designated for use by off-highway vehicles:

(a) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on the highway for the purpose of crossing the highway, comes to a complete stop before crossing and crosses as close as practicable to perpendicular to the direction of travel on the highway;

(b) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on the highway for the purpose of loading or unloading the off-highway vehicle onto or off of another vehicle or trailer, if the loading or unloading is as close as practicable to the place of operation of the off-highway vehicle;

(c) During an emergency if it is impossible or impracticable to use another vehicle or if a peace officer directs the operation of the off-highway vehicle; or

(d) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on a portion of a highway that is designated as a trail connector for a trail authorized for use by off-highway vehicles for not more than 2 miles.

3.  A person may operate an off-highway vehicle on any public land, trail, way or unpaved county road unless prohibited by the governmental entity which has jurisdiction over the public land, trail, way or unpaved county road.

4.  A governmental entity specified in subsection 3 may:

(a) Prepare and distribute upon request a map or other document setting forth each area of public land, trail, way or unpaved county road that is prohibited for the operation off-highway vehicles; and

(b) Erect and maintain signs designating each area of public land, trail, way or unpaved county road that is prohibited for the operation off-highway vehicles.

Dusty4runner

Offroad adventurer
Premium Member
NRS 490.090  

2.  A person may operate an off-highway vehicle on a paved highway that is not otherwise designated for use by off-highway vehicles:

(a) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on the highway for the purpose of crossing the highway, comes to a complete stop before crossing and crosses as close as practicable to perpendicular to the direction of travel on the highway;

(b) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on the highway for the purpose of loading or unloading the off-highway vehicle onto or off of another vehicle or trailer, if the loading or unloading is as close as practicable to the place of operation of the off-highway vehicle;

(c) During an emergency if it is impossible or impracticable to use another vehicle or if a peace officer directs the operation of the off-highway vehicle; or

(d) If the off-highway vehicle is operated on a portion of a highway that is designated as a trail connector for a trail authorized for use by off-highway vehicles for not more than 2 miles.

3.  A person may operate an off-highway vehicle on any public land, trail, way or unpaved county road unless prohibited by the governmental entity which has jurisdiction over the public land, trail, way or unpaved county road.

(a) Prepare and distribute upon request a map or other document setting forth each area of public land, trail, way or unpaved county road that is prohibited for the operation off-highway vehicles; and

(b) Erect and maintain signs designating each area of public land, trail, way or unpaved county road that is prohibited for the operation off-highway vehicles.
Dog valley is CA, nrs don't apply ..

zadar

I know it is CA, reason I said it makes no sense to keep people from using dirt road in off road friendly area.
It does apply to post I responded to.

RARECJ8

With the recent explosion of sxs users we have seen a corresponding degree of resource damage, like donuts in meadows, creating new trails and related mayhem. Sure these problems are not new but the frequency is off the charts.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
NRS 490.090  

So you can cross the highway, and load/unload. Awesome. Where is the part saying you can drive an OHV down the road outside of an emergency?