Dog Valley OHV restrictions

zadar

Which means somebody who lives >2 miles away from dirt can legally ride on paved road to get there or use paved road to get from dirt to dirt.
I do this all the time, I am in golden valley (end of Estate) and ride out of my yard but also go on other side to Peavine. Basically I get legally from my house to Stampede reservoir. Even with new CA law since I only have to cross those roads.
Or I can take SxS drive to longboard pizza and back home legally :)

Which means somebody who lives >2 miles away from dirt can legally ride on paved road to get there or use paved road to get from dirt to dirt.
I do this all the time, I am in golden valley (end of Estate) and ride out of my yard but also go on other side to Peavine. Basically I get legally from my house to Stampede reservoir. Even with new CA law since I only have to cross those roads.
Or I can take SxS drive to longboard pizza and back home legally :)

I don’t think that’s what it says, I could be wrong but I think your “2 miles” would need to be a designated trail connector, not just any road or highway.

zadar

No, it is specifically for "undesignated" highways. Read first paragraph I posted.
Other roads outside city, dirt roads, private land ...etc you are free to ride on unless it is posted not to.

What I copy/pasted is just one part of it, you can go on site and read it all.

zadar

Example of dirt road you can't ride on is Sand hills behind Freds mountain. There is sign you can't ride there for few months during the year, October through April or something like that. Other times you can go.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
No, it is specifically for "undesignated" highways. Read first paragraph I posted.
Other roads outside city, dirt roads, private land ...etc you are free to ride on unless it is posted not to.

What I copy/pasted is just one part of it, you can go on site and read it all.

Okay. For the second time. It is California. Nevada law doesn’t apply. Maybe you’ll understand this now.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I know it is CA, reason I said it makes no sense to keep people from using dirt road in off road friendly area.
It does apply to post I responded to.

Did you read the part of the NRS where it says they can post a sign telling you OHV isn’t allowed? Maybe you can re-read your Nevada Revised Statues again because nothing in your post applies to California anyways. You’re allowed to use the dirt roads. You’re NOT allowed to ride your OHVs down a road regardless of the material it’s made of.

maxamillion2345

With the recent explosion of sxs users we have seen a corresponding degree of resource damage, like donuts in meadows, creating new trails and related mayhem. Sure these problems are not new but the frequency is off the charts.
However I feel about dog valley, this is a fact and as brought up before — barrier to entry has been largely removed. It doesn’t come as a surprise really. Coming soon to Moonrocks!

Did you read the part of the NRS where it says they can post a sign telling you OHV isn’t allowed? Maybe you can re-read your Nevada Revised Statues again because nothing in your post applies to California anyways. You’re allowed to use the dirt roads. You’re NOT allowed to ride your OHVs down a road regardless of the material it’s made of.

Also, even if no sign is listed it is still the operators responsibility to know the laws and rules of the road they are on.
If the road is illegal to ride on, they don’t have to out a sign up to tell you. It’s the individuals job to research or investigate the legalities before traveling on that road.

Superlucky

Just curious. Some states (Montana), have the ability to register SxS, quads, etc as street legal. They put horns and turn signals on them and they can be registered. Although Nevada doesn't allow full street use, do you think that a Montana street legal SxS would be allowed? I ask, because their sign hints that only CALIFORNIA street legal vehicles are allowed.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Just curious. Some states (Montana), have the ability to register SxS, quads, etc as street legal. They put horns and turn signals on them and they can be registered. Although Nevada doesn't allow full street use, do you think that a Montana street legal SxS would be allowed? I ask, because their sign hints that only CALIFORNIA street legal vehicles are allowed.

Yes. It has to be registered in California.

zadar

I may not agree with that. If it is street legal in NV, it is pretty much able to travel any public road in any state.
I don't think so. That may be thru for jeep or bike but SxS or atv can not be registered as street legal vehicle in NV.
In case of his SxS been street legal in Montana does not make it street legal in NV and I think CA is same. You can use it as OHV vehicle but not on streets. You will still have to buy permit.
Here is CA nonresident use https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

Last edited:

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I may not agree with that. If it is street legal in NV, it is pretty much able to travel any public road in any state.

He wasn’t talking about street legal and the sign posted isn’t talking about street legal vehicles. It says registration of OHV in Nevada doesn’t meet their requirements to be street legal so it can’t be on the named roads. It can be anywhere else.

RubiconRider

We have a small group of people on atv's and sxs that stay at Boomtown Hotel or KOA and ride from there to Dog Valley Road and out to Dog Valley and Pevine. Last time we did the ride was maybe in June, and we ran into others on SXS that told us the residents don't like off-road rigs on their road. I realize there are people with loud exhaust or drive too fast that ruin it for everyone. My group is small with all stock exhaust, we pickup other people's litter and stay on the trails. We have been doing this for many years without issues, a couple times we pasted a Sheriff and he waved to us so figured it is still all good. Where are the best staging areas to get up to Peavine from Boomtown? I see a few off Virgina Street but it's over 20 miles from Boomtown where we get our free rooms for dropping lots of cash at the blackjack table.

Last edited:
We have a small group of people on atv's and sxs that stay at Boomtown Hotel or KOA and ride from there to Dog Valley Road and out to Dog Valley and Pevine. Last time we did the ride was maybe in June, and we ran into others on SXS that told us the residents don't like off-road rigs on their road. I realize there are people with loud exhaust or drive too fast that ruin it for everyone. My group is small with all stock exhaust, we pickup other people's litter and stay on the trails. We have been doing this for many years without issues, a couple times we pasted a Sheriff and he waved to us so figured it is still all good. Where are the best staging areas to get up to Peavine from Boomtown? I see a few off Virgina Street but it's over 20 miles from Boomtown where we get our free rooms for dropping lots of cash at the blackjack table.

Las Brisas off road access is good but no hotel within riding distance I don’t think (at least not less than 2 miles). Border town north on 395 has rooms I think, RV parking and easy access to the Long Valley side of Peavine. Little more rural and likely less resistance up there.
Good luck!

RubiconRider

We like staying at the Boomtown Hotel for the free rooms, so I may check out the Las Brisas staging area, Hopefully, our vehicles are safe there and there aren't any off-road haters that live near there. We typically will ride to Bordertown for lunch or Sierraville and have lunch at Los Dos Hermanos. Thanks!

We like staying at the Boomtown Hotel for the free rooms, so I may check out the Las Brisas staging area, Hopefully, our vehicles are safe there and there aren't any off-road haters that live near there. We typically will ride to Bordertown for lunch or Sierraville and have lunch at Los Dos Hermanos. Thanks!

I park there all the time, it’s a real nice neighborhood and you shouldn’t have any problems. Now, I can’t promise there won’t be some used condoms, I think the high school
kids enjoy it after hours.