Don German Class 8

chevydan3

I am in love with the German family's truck. Does anybody know the history of it, did they build it or does it have a storied past? Google isn't much help. Wish I could've made it out to the VORRA race this weekend.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I love that truck too! Don and Chris German built the truck themselves over the course of 10 years. When I say "built" I don't mean "assembled", Don is a machinist in Petaluma and made his own axles, hubs, sway bars and more. They previously raced a stretched Jeep in VORRA years ago, but when the frame broke in half they started work on the Chevy.

It has a rowdy (750 horsepower?) small block and they have won Class 8 in Vegas to Reno the past three years in a row. Oh, and Don is 70 years old and still as tough and as fast as ever! Cool family and awesome truck.

chevydan3

Thanks Harry. They say it's capable of 120mph, that's crazy for a "home built" truck. Class 8 is largely a "working man's" class and I hope to be part of it some day.

Samco Fab

That truck is very cool. I dont know of anybody else that ever built their own hubs and axles. They even built their own transmissions until the 780 HP made them step up to a Rancho. I believe 120 MPH is a realistic top speed.

patsarge

It is a factual speed for Dons truck.

That truck is very cool. I dont know of anybody else that ever built their own hubs and axles. They even built their own transmissions until the 780 HP made them step up to a Rancho. I believe 120 MPH is a realistic top speed.
Don at 72 just drove the whole race (V2R) 3 days ago and lost his rear end a few miles out from start line, returned to the start line and they replaced the rear end.. The 90 min repair cost him a 4th win in a row but they did come in 2nd. Don was hoping to make it 4 years in a row. Don had to drive the whole race as Chris (son) and his wife were having a baby and he was unable to drive that day. Walker his grandson rode the 2nd half of the race with Don. Don looked understandably tired at the Rawhide pit 421 miles with 111 miles to go but said he was doing fine. The man never gives up as long as the truck is running. Hopefully it will be up for the Fallon 250 and the race will be on. The work Don did building the truck is a work of art, knowledge and love for racing. He is without doubt one of the nicest men we have ever known and has the nicest family.