Dreaded axle wrap

RARECJ8

Finally got the rear chevy 63” leafs dialed in and ready to wheel. Not so fast. Major spring wrap and pinion shoots up too far for comfort. Messed up a early CV rear drive shaft. This is not sustainable. It’s barely street able but no way on trail. ISO solutions. Each possible idea comes with drawbacks. Anti wrap traction bar. Not excited. Add more leafs. Maybe. Go with 52” springs. Then move spring hangers for the fifth time. Messy and no guarantee. Or junk all the new parts and go with links. Lots of $$ already invested this direction. Or…god forbid, reinstall the old rear pax and call it a failed and costly venture. Those pax are shot, so that means even more dough. Yet the old pax never offered wrap issues, but those shortys deliver super weak articulation and are very rough on the kidneys.

or sell everything snd build a LJ.

discuss…

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
What's wrong with anti-wrap bar? They work great and they can be made to protect your drive shaft and pinion joint as well.

BUILTnotBOUGHT

Finally got the rear chevy 63” leafs dialed in and ready to wheel. Not so fast. Major spring wrap and pinion shoots up too far for comfort. Messed up a early CV rear drive shaft. This is not sustainable. It’s barely street able but no way on trail. ISO solutions. Each possible idea comes with drawbacks. Anti wrap traction bar. Not excited. Add more leafs. Maybe. Go with 52” springs. Then move spring hangers for the fifth time. Messy and no guarantee. Or junk all the new parts and go with links. Lots of $$ already invested this direction. Or…god forbid, reinstall the old rear pax and call it a failed and costly venture. Those pax are shot, so that means even more dough. Yet the old pax never offered wrap issues, but those shortys deliver super weak articulation and are very rough on the kidneys.

or sell everything snd build a LJ.

discuss…
Antiwrap bar and be done with it

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I would do the anti wrap bar. Do it similar to how Nth degree did it for the TJ's. It worked super well, protected the diff and driveline. It actually made it easier to slide over shit too that would have gotten hung up on the diff. I feel like there was more positives to that system than drawbacks.

Fernley818

Another for the anti-wrap bar. Put one on my 4 runner when it got the v8 swap. Have had zero issue. Build it with a small shackle on the frame side and it won’t bind or cause any loss in travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RARECJ8

Had one couple years ago and it broke away from the frame mount as in a huge chunk ripped out and the torque twisted the axle tube. Yuk. Denis, come over and take a look. Not a lot of room to work with. Appreciate all ur ideas.

3rd Petal

I run an anti wrap bar with a shackle on top on my 7.3 super duty, same style everyone runs on Toyotas and what not. I didn’t want big ladder bars hanging down like all the “bro trucks.” And it hasn’t twisted tubes or broken from the frame
Built mine with RuffStuff parts

jsipe007

Anti wrap here too. I should have used one on my Jeep previously, even SUA the pinion wrapped too much for comfort.

I know you are limited on space but what something that ties to the leaf spring plate? Stumbled across this and it could work for you.

I’ve got some YJ rubicon express front springs if they would work for you as well. The springs that wrapped on me were BDS not RE

Last edited:

Thedirtman

Its not that big a deal to link it and just move to coil overs. More flex, better ride, ability to tune. Though thing right now is finding parts.

RARECJ8

Anti wrap here too. I should have used one on my Jeep previously, even SUA the pinion wrapped too much for comfort.

I know you are limited on space but what something that ties to the leaf spring plate? Stumbled across this and it could work for you.

I’ve got some YJ rubicon express front springs if they would work for you as well. The springs that wrapped on me were BDS not RE

We looked at those and it limits articulation. Especially side to side. Have an artic truss that may sell, NIB abd go with a different design. Basically truss with upper links to control wrap and keep the leaf springs. Dialing in pinion angle is a mess. So many different opinions…

jsipe007

If you go links, I gotta say that the coilovers really made everything so easy.

Gives you tons of easier mounting spots and really easy to dial in later down the road. But… that adds some serious coin and they’re not easy to get right now unfortunately.

Could you do an anti wrap style bottom leaf? Or a half leaf anti wrap?

Thedirtman

Thas a great price for a cover and bridge, I would add some material on the sides of the bridge for some added strength.

RARECJ8

i see that. i'd make it wider with some webbing. this design avoids welding to the center section.

3rd Petal

And you would run a single “traction bar” from the top of that forward to a crossmember? Is that what you are thinking? Or a conventional anti-wrap bar with two points of contact on the axle?
Cause with a single point on the axle, it’s basically the same as the above the spring plate style posted earlier. While it will do more than nothing, it would still require the leaf springs to contain the twisting force. It will just re-direct some of that force through the bar.
If you make it be two points on the axle, the anti wrap bar holds all the twist, and now the leaf springs only have to locate the axle and do their spring job

RARECJ8

Exploring all ideas. Once ran the MORE ladder bar from an axle tube to a forward cross member. It sounds athe tube where it goes into the center section. Seems Thats a known issue with the sterling.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
So did you ever make a move on this? I will probably run without an anti-wrap bar like an idiot myself for a while.