E brake service

solja4jc

Premium Member
Looking to get my E brake serviced/ repaired on my 2000 F250. Pedal seems good, brakes dont grab the truck. Any recommendations and maybe the cost of such repairs?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I'd just pull the brakes apart and see if everything is working when the e-brake is set by pedal. Might be something simple.

solja4jc

Premium Member
Well here is the deal, you have to take the axel out of the shaft to get to the parking brake, im not sure how to do this/have the right tools to do so.

3rd Petal

Yep, parking brake is separate from service brake in that era Ford, it is a drum brake inside the top hat of the rotor. Axle shaft needs to come out to get at it. I don’t think there is any adjustment point in the cables, there is a self tensioner built into the petal assembly. There is a star wheel adjuster that you can work through the backing plate using a flathead, I would start there before taking it to a shop. I have seen a few where the shoes become un-bonded and leave the building.... if that is the case, I have no shop recommendations

solja4jc

Premium Member
Yep, parking brake is separate from service brake in that era Ford, it is a drum brake inside the top hat of the rotor. Axle shaft needs to come out to get at it. I don’t think there is any adjustment point in the cables, there is a self tensioner built into the petal assembly. There is a star wheel adjuster that you can work through the backing plate using a flathead, I would start there before taking it to a shop. I have seen a few where the shoes become un-bonded and leave the building.... if that is the case, I have no shop recommendations
Took Denis's and your advise before taking to any shop. Looked on other forums and found the star wheel adjustment through the back plate with a flathead. Worked great! Seems as though the passenger side was 10 or so clicks looser than the Driver side. Due to time it must have loosened? I was a dummy when I first got the truck and forgot to release the parking brake, didn't even notice it on with the 7.3L lol.