Easily accessible, remote place for camping

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I want to take my son camping for a weekend. Need something off the beaten path, preferably near small lake or stream, but easily accessible by a stock 4x4 truck. Ideas?

leifnv

I want to take my son camping for a weekend. Need something off the beaten path, preferably near small lake or stream, but easily accessible by a stock 4x4 truck. Ideas?
Next to Chrystal Peak is a neat camping place, self service, pay $6 and put in an envelope in the box...

Also hillsangles are going camping in that area this weekend....

We cant go, some friends are getting married......

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
My son loves Hunter Lake
I have never gone up that trail in my truck, nor do I want too much Nevada pin striping on my truck. Do you think it's doable in a full-size? That would be the easiest, since I live 10 minutes from the trailhead. I always went in the Jeep, so I wasn't concerned about clearance or scratches.

I'm pretty sure I can make it to the campershell hill easily, but don't remember the trail that well after that.

DRTY4x4

How about Milton Reservoir? Its just northwest of Jackson Meadows, pavement almost all the way, and I've taken my F150 through it without any problems. Snow shouldnt be an issue by now, either.

Dnmeistr

Gold Lake take him into the 4x4 camp it is easily accessible by a stock 4x4 truck full size or not with no pinstriping, it is about an 1 hr and 20 min drive from Reno. And there are tons of places to go exploring around there and even more lakes to drive around and look at. Hiking trails all over the place, a nice small hike is up to Smith Lake or checkout Frazier Falls.

I have never gone up that trail in my truck, nor do I want too much Nevada pin striping on my truck. Do you think it's doable in a full-size? That would be the easiest, since I live 10 minutes from the trailhead. I always went in the Jeep, so I wasn't concerned about clearance or scratches.

I'm pretty sure I can make it to the campershell hill easily, but don't remember the trail that well after that.
Are you taking your Titan? I think you would be ok. You could take the fire road up from Boomtown. I always took my full size blazer up the Caughlin ranch way, but I didn't really care about pinstripes.

4X4BABE

Gold Lake take him into the 4x4 camp it is easily accessible by a stock 4x4 truck full size or not with no pinstriping, it is about an 1 hr and 20 min drive from Reno. And there are tons of places to go exploring around there and even more lakes to drive around and look at. Hiking trails all over the place, a nice small hike is up to Smith Lake or checkout Frazier Falls.
X2 on Gold Lake...that place is great.

4X4BABE

x3. Gold lake (4x4 camp)is a Beautiful place. It should be kept a secret as much as possible.
For sure. Most people don't even know about it, which isn't such a bad thing. We went up there for 4th of July once and a lot of people were having their little festivities in Graeagle and the campground itself wasn't that packed...so it was fun. Lots of trees, shade, space, and a nice cool lake:thumbsup:

Air Sierra

Staff member
There is a ton of places on HWY 4 too. up by Slick Rock and those area's Lots of granite slaps and streams- small lakes..

RARECJ8

Premium Member
we're camping tonight thru sunday at hunter camp 2 in dog valley, then next week from 6/26 thru 7/1 at 4x4 camp at gold lake. the snake lake nd little deer lake trails are 5+ and a real hoot.

one of the better sites

a cool feature on way back from snake lake

dinner time!

another good water-front site

little gold lake and squaw lake also offer a good time, etc.

mb

Sierra Valley

Milton Resivoir is a sweet place to go Dennis as mentioned before. Gold lake 4x4 camp is always a favorite of mine. Really cool place to go thats not too far is White Rock Lake or Meadow Lake. You can even get down to Fordyce Lake from the white rock lake area. PM me if you want directions.

Nevadadrifter

Desert Creek is also a very nice area. A nice small creek for the kids to play in. 4 or 5 water crossings on the way up the canyon. It's usually well stocked with trout. Some old cabins and mining equipment to check out if you go a few miles up Risue Canyon. There is a campground with tables, fire pits and restrooms if thats your style, or lots of camping sites all the way up to the top of the canyon. Down towards the bottom of the canyon there are lots of indian pictographs to check out! My favorite campsite, if your coming up from the bottom of the canyon is down below the first creek crossing right after the cattle guard.

All of this is well within the means of any stock 4x4. When I was in high school, we used to camp just below the first crossing and wait for people to get their cars stuck in the water, and offer to pull them out for beer. It would always result in at least a few free six packs!

RARECJ8

Premium Member
x2 on desert creek-- we like the site between 3rd and 4th crossing, coming in from wellington. From risue cyn, u can go straight south following the state line to lobdell lake, birchum flat and other cool places.
mb

Nevadadrifter

x2 on desert creek-- we like the site between 3rd and 4th crossing, coming in from wellington. From risue cyn, u can go straight south following the state line to lobdell lake, birchum flat and other cool places.
mb
Is that the site with the actual forest service campground?

There is another really good and rarely used campsite closer to the Hwy 338 side. It's away from the creek, but very much isolated from any other campers. It's a small spur road that leads up to what I show as the Rickey Mine on the topo maps. There is an old horse corral there that is still used from time to time, and it puts you closer to the trails over at Pine Grove & Rockland. Tons of exploring to do out there! I haven't traveled it in about 4 years, but I wouldn't reccomend the road from Pine Grove to Rockland in a stock 4x4. I did it in a stock Grand Cherokee, but it was very cringe inducing in parts! :eek: