Easily accessible, remote place for camping

775Toy

desert creek is awesome , very well stocked and usually the crossings are pretty low in july and august so just about any stock 4x4 schould make it.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Where exactly is Desert Creek? With all the smoke, I don't think we'll be going to Gold Lake this weekend.

EatingKidsDaily

I really like lola montez lake and also lake of the woods.
Both are remote, but you should eb able to get there with a truck if the snow has cleared.

Has anybody taken the rattlesnake road recently?

phildelfino

Better directions would be cool for all these places. Some I have been to like gold lake and a couple around there, but desert creek and some of the others , I haven't heard of before. Good thread Denis.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see if I got directions right to Desert Creek. Found directions from Bridgeport, but apparently it's very close to Wellington. Basically, you get to Wellington, continue south on NV338, take a right on Desert Creek road right when you leave the town. Then continue on Desert Creek road and pick a place to camp. Does it sound right?

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Let's see if I got directions right to Desert Creek. Found directions from Bridgeport, but apparently it's very close to Wellington. Basically, you get to Wellington, continue south on NV338, take a right on Desert Creek road right when you leave the town. Then continue on Desert Creek road and pick a place to camp. Does it sound right?
exactly.

Nevadadrifter

And Desert Creek Rd is only a few hundred yards after you turn south onto 338. You've got a few miles of graded dirt road before it begins getting rough. Right after the graded dirt road ends, keep an eye out for the pictographs on your right. There's some even better ones in the immediate area if you get out and look around a little.

If you want to know some of my "super secret" fishing holes, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to share!:D

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Are there trees in the Desert Creek? With temps in the 90s I don't want my son to be miserable.

Nevadadrifter

Are there trees in the Desert Creek? With temps in the 90s I don't want my son to be miserable.

Plenty of them! Big pine trees throughout and plenty of willows too. And the canyon walls are fairly steep in most places too, so you get fewer hours of direct sunlight in the lower parts of the canyon.

rusty_tlc

We went to Gold Lake. It was a little crowded/loud late at night for my taste. But my son slept through all the noise, so whatever. It's a nice place.
Maybe try Soldier Meadows next time, you could even do as much of High Rock Canyon as you felt comfortable with. I've done the whole thing in a full size GMC long bed extended cab. I added some pin striping, but what the hell I didn't buy it to look at.

We usually drive out to Smoke Creek Friday and spend the night, I can give you directions to a primo camp out there.

One thing, there are a lot more stars out there, a LOT more. And I think the Perseid meteor shower is coming up in a couple of weeks, just a thought.

mdtrader©

Premium Member
Maybe try Soldier Meadows next time, you could even do as much of High Rock Canyon as you felt comfortable with. I've done the whole thing in a full size GMC long bed extended cab. I added some pin striping, but what the hell I didn't buy it to look at.

We usually drive out to Smoke Creek Friday and spend the night, I can give you directions to a primo camp out there.

One thing, there are a lot more stars out there, a LOT more. And I think the Perseid meteor shower is coming up in a couple of weeks, just a thought.
I'll take those directions if you don't mind... :thumbsup:

rusty_tlc

Not a classified place, it gets plenty of use during bird season.

For the meteor shower I would head out into the plya, you can camp any where. Please don't build any fires directly on the Plya, it really screws it up. But since you want to watch the show I'm assuming you won't want to kill your night vision with a fire any way.

From Reno, north on Pyramid Hwy, left at Sutcliff, North over Sand Pass, keep going until you pass the old ranch, You will see a sign for Smoke Creek, right after you cross the bridge turn left onto Smoke Creek road, find a side road that goes into the Cotton Wood stand. There is a nice camp spot down there. If you want to stay more than overnight head up the road and look for side roads, there are plenty of places to camp right next to Smoke Creek. We usually just use the spot by the bridge to get an early start for High Rock canyon or Black Rock Desert, you are close enough to Gerlach to stop for breakfast at Brunos.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
smoke creek desert offers a number of cool places to explore-- pipe spring, buffalo creek and poodle mountain. Somke old ranch ruins to see and some hot springs. Not necessarily a destination run, but a good stop on ur way north the the black rock. My buddy lives on 640 acres just north of squaw resivour-- am working on a fall run up there and might open up the ranch for attendees to use as a rig parking, staging, etc.

mb

edit: and also the nobles emigrant trail
http://www.canvocta.org/routes/route_NoblesTrail.html