East Coast Newbie

tjunkie

Hello, everyone! My wife and I are full-time RV’ers who recently moved to Reno to settle down for a while. We love hiking, biking, kayaking, camping and other outdoor activities and have been enjoying all the Reno and surrounding areas have to offer...at least up until COVID-19 and smoke from all the wildfires put a damper on things.

I’m the proud owner of a 2004 TJ that I’ve kept pretty stock since I bought it over a decade ago...never needed much more while living in Florida. However, this area offers so many great places to go exploring off the asphalt that I’ve decided to make a few upgrades to the TJ. The kind folks over at 4 Wheel Parts in Sparks are giving it a lift and installing 35s, a winch and a roof rack for me. I hope to have it back within the next day or two and...if the weather is decent this weekend…will be taking it out for our first off-road adventure on maybe the Hunter Lake trail which I understand is beginner-friendly. If anyone would like to take a ride along with the wife and me to make sure we don’t get ourselves into too much trouble, let me know!

I look forward to being part of this 4-wheeling community and learning as much as I can from those who have been doing this kinda thing for a while.

ZJchukar

Welcome!

Hunter Lake is pretty cool. There's some good views of the city once you get up the trail and out of the canyons. I'd offer to go with but my rig is down for the next few days but I'm always willing to go out!

The moonrocks off Pyramid Highway is another fun place but I wouldn't recommend going there alone. Feel free to message me if you ever want a wheeling buddy. I'm Joe, by the way.

tjunkie

Thanks, Joe! I'll definitely take you up on the offer to hit the trail some time in the coming weeks. While I had hoped to go out this weekend, I'll have to wait another week since my rig is still down at this point. 4 Wheel Parts couldn't get the 35s I wanted to play nice with the rig so I'm stepping down to a set of 33s and now have to wait for those to be shipped from Pennsylvania. Thanks for reaching out and I'll definitely be in touch!

Bill

Thanks, Joe! I'll definitely take you up on the offer to hit the trail some time in the coming weeks. While I had hoped to go out this weekend, I'll have to wait another week since my rig is still down at this point. 4 Wheel Parts couldn't get the 35s I wanted to play nice with the rig so I'm stepping down to a set of 33s and now have to wait for those to be shipped from Pennsylvania. Thanks for reaching out and I'll definitely be in touch!
My 97 tj is lifted on 33's, and It gets me where I want to go just fine. You're better off not putting 35's on small stock axles anyway. Serious gearing and breakage issues. Lots of amazing trails in the reno tahoe, and nor cal areas. I work ALOT! but I'd be happy to roll with you sometime. Sundays are best for me. Oh yeah, welcome to reno. I love it here and I'm sure you will to.