Events requirements

Brizzman

Premium Member
I almost always carry an axe, but really don't use it.

I only carry it because one time I really did need it (or a saw would have worked too), I didn't have it.

It's also with me when I just want to cut firewood. :)

Brizzman

Premium Member
On the original topic, Event Requirements, I think the list is fine. It's a minimum to have, not the best to have.

The one thing I see people here going without the most, is recovery points. Many Jeeps, especially XJs, don't come with them. I have helped pull more than one member out by attaching to the axle, because they didn't have proper recovery points.

My XJ didn't have them. It was the first thing I did to it back when it was stock.

owenst7

Except for splitting wood though wouldn't a saw be a better use of space/weight for clearing trails and cutting firewood?

Cutting away ice, that's extreme :thumbsup: From what?

I'm just thinking that carrying an axe might not be needed, and I could get by fine with a small hatchet and a cross-cut saw.

An axe is a lot more effective than a shovel sometimes in regions with snow as wet as what you guys have around here. If you get stuck in the afternoon, when the temp drops 5 degrees or so, you get set in like concrete. Jumping up and down on a steel spade will wear you out a lot quicker than a guy chopping it up and then moving the chunks with a scoop shovel.

I don't know how some of you guys ever get anything done with the little fold up military/avalanche shovels I frequently see people carrying. There's no leverage with one of those. You're almost better off using your foot and saving your lower back from having to hunch over.

Rubiconthomas

I agree with everything on the list. Couple things I'd like to add are common sense, and preparedness. Plan ahead of where your going. Thinking of situations that may happen on the trail and being prepared for them is always a plus. Also common sense. If you are going to run say Bud-wiser and axe might be absolutely necessary. However if your running say Rubicon an axe may be appropriate. I find that common sense and preparedness are two extremely useful tools to have. :thumbsup:

owenst7

Along the same lines as an axe, I like having Machete with me. You never know when a federale could come in handy.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Just a quick bump for a question....Recovery points...Factory hook or hitch good enough for recovery point?

stckerz

im new on here haha but a good thing to have would be a basic electrical kit i.e. pliers/crimpers, electrical tape, 16 ga. wire, butt splices, spare fuses etc. also a knife, fire starter, signal mirror, whistle, compass, flashlight, water purifier
just my .02

someotherjim

I need some clarification...

Are these the requirements for the EVENT to happen?
(meaning ~ "the run won't be sanctioned if among the group ANY ONE of these important items is missing")
or
Are these requirements per vehicle?
(meaning ~ "if there are 8 rigs, there will be 8 each of these important things")

WILLD420

Premium Member
These were individual requirements for each participant. The thread got started because there were a lot of young newbies showing up without any preparations and many of us got tired of giving our stuff away to people who had no intention of ever replacing it.

RARECJ8

Will speaks truth. This site neither condones or organized any runs. It is a mere information portal to post a run info, subject to stated minimum requirements, like tire size. The list is what is strongly suggested and is voluntary, but dont be shocked if one shows up unprepared and expects to be coddled and is ignored. No one is left behind but good faith effort to be self sufficient is priceless.

RARECJ8

To be sure, remember to swap out your fall tire air for the winter blend. You'll get better traction and increased MPG.

image.jpeg