FFL Transfer for an out of state purchase...

John90XJ

Who do we like for an FFL transfer of an inbound out of state purchase of a long gun?

Looking at a purchase of a new gun through a dealer on Gun Broker and the price is good, not great, but he has good ratings and a solid credit card policy and fair shipping. I can't find what I want locally and to order it means paying even more.

I'd like to just have him ship and be done with it.

bigsnoz

Super easy. Go to your shop of preference, ask them the fee for how much to transfer. Then get a copy of their FFL or have them send it to the person/entity you just bought it from. They will ship it to our local FFL and you pick it up as you would any local purchase with a 4473 and Nics check.

John90XJ

I understand the process. The question is who does everyone like for a smooth and easy transaction? I don't have a favorite shop. I don't know any of the decent home based FFLs. Need some guidance.

bigsnoz

Being a pretty cut, dry, formal process, honestly about any shop is fine.
Any preference would be hanging out after you get your gun and talking for a while. lol

ManNamedJed

Yes, but there are some shops that appreciate the transfer business, and others who will give you some attitude about it. The transfer fee can also vary widely.

I have transferred through Juggernaut and the process was fast and easy. They publish their transfer fees on their site.

I do find its good to talk to the shop about what you plan to buy. They may have it on the shelf and would be willing to price match. Or they can order it for you at the same cost. I can see how it would bum out a business owner who is doing a transfer on an item they already have in inventory.

DJRENO

Premium Member
I understand the process. The question is who does everyone like for a smooth and easy transaction? I don't have a favorite shop. I don't know any of the decent home based FFLs. Need some guidance.

Willey Bros.

John90XJ

I do find its good to talk to the shop about what you plan to buy. They may have it on the shelf and would be willing to price match. Or they can order it for you at the same cost. I can see how it would bum out a business owner who is doing a transfer on an item they already have in inventory.

I agree that this is only fair and if I ran the business I would like a chance at it myself. In this instance I asked both companies to make me a quote on a specific piece and the numbers were on the higher side of what I had coming together. We'll see what happens when I get closer to making the final deal.

BobF

Premium Member
Who do we like for an FFL transfer of an inbound out of state purchase of a long gun?

Looking at a purchase of a new gun through a dealer on Gun Broker and the price is good, not great, but he has good ratings and a solid credit card policy and fair shipping. I can't find what I want locally and to order it means paying even more.

I'd like to just have him ship and be done with it.

I've went to this persons business and he's really nice, showed me around the place: Jim Willis, (775) 750-2542, http://www.fetchums.com . Give him a call or stop by. 2373 Dickerson road Reno Nevada 89503

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
This comes a little later perhaps, but I have ordered a number of guns though Juggernaut, and bought a few at their store, but never just transferred one in. I have inquired and I believe their fee was $25, and they have always been happy to help and willing to work with me.

I've used Willey Bros to transfer a gun OUT (which was unnecessary but the buyer insisted) and they were helpful as well.

Those are the only two local shops I have any purchase/sales experience with.

John90XJ

Flawless and simple transaction with a couple of nice people in the store. Easy deal and will do it again. Expect to see them on the board again as well. They were appreciative of members referring others to them.