Finally wheeled my latest project.

MR.ROCKAPE

I got an 89 yj a few months back,And today I finally took it out in the hills behind my house for some play time.It did ok, not the rig I am used to but very much like the one I started with.My complaints,not enough low gearing,carb sucks,Sua W/33s rough ride and no real flex to speak of ,its open fr&rear and its a five speed.Good points,it has a top,the inline six runs good,more wheel base than my cj5,and its alot wider.
I am still trying to decide what direction this project will take.I am leaning toward SOA with waggy 44s and 35-37inch tires.And tbi 350 w/auto dana 300 t-case.
Any ideas?
I already have a tube buggy so I am looking to build something a little more tame :eek:

Sauce

if you are going with a chevy motor, why not run a 205 or a 203 with a doubler? They can be found a lot cheaper and will be easier to mate to transmissions without adapters...You have a ton of options for axles, esp, since you are doing a drivetrain swap, why not go with a HP axle cut down to waggy length? Also, it never hurts to throw some 60's under there :D Also, a few PnP buckets would help a ton with the rough ride, it always sucks to sit on an aluminum racing seat, makes your butt want to :cry:

Last edited:

DBXJ

well u could just covert it from carb to injection there are kits for it and the axle swap thats your choice

rusty_tlc

deadandcompany said:
With a 350, auto and 2 cases. There will be no rear drive line.
If you change the straight six out for a v8 wouldn't the shorter block gain you enough space for the second t-case?

MR.ROCKAPE

I dont think I want a doubler.In my buggy, I have the dana 300 w/4-1 and in low with the v-6 and th350 auto the brakes barely hold it stopped at idle.(and its got 4 wheel disks!!)I was thinking of converting the stock I6 to FI add an aw4 auto and a 4to 1 kit in the 231,keep the hp30 up front or convert it to a Dana 44 F/R ,35 inch tires and wheel the hell out of it(On trails)Oh and convert it to spring over.

DBXJ

well if your gonna convert it to FI ill talk to my friend see if he can find a kit for a good price for ya if u want

TimW

Rockape, you can get the Howell injection kit for it around $1200.00. Thats what I was going to do with it.