finish rear bumper

RWKXJ

finished rear bumper

Finally got my bumper done...This was my first fab project and I am very happy with how it turned out. Let me know what you think...I also made the one on the red jeep in return for the steel for both bumpers.
P1010195.jpg

P1010198.jpg

Mine mounts using the stock 8 bolt locations, 4 bolts and a large backing plate behind the hitch, and tied into the old hitch rails that run down the frame...
One I built for a friend...kept it real stock looking...
P1010194.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
nice work. i would have kept a little more room between the bumper and light housings, just in case you come down hard on the corner and the bumper will bend into the housings which in turn can damage tailgate and body.

RWKXJ

Thanks Denis, not a bad idea on the spacing...nothing a little grinder wont take care of, on my friend's red one unfortunately it will probably only ever see a shopping cart hit it, so not a big deal there.

Sauce

nice work, I know tom wanted to do something like that for his. Where did you get the d-ring tabs???

RWKXJ

I ended up making them, found a piece of 3/4" stock in the salvage bin, got it for free, but to cut it and drill it was a lot of work.they go thru to the back side of the bumper. If i did it again I would consider just buying them from one of the companies online.(BD offroad has them I think...)

blackwidow

that looks nice, good job......Not to crazy about the bumper so close to the light, but still very clean looking

Sauce

Now that I look at his bumper again, he shouldn't have any real issues with the taillights because he has the metal boxes and LED's...It would be more of a problem for a rig that had stock lights IMHO. BTW, Sam at samco fab can do d-ring mounts, shock tabs, etc. in a flash with his iron worker, you might give him a call next time you need something like that, I think he is in the book...

blackwidow

well the reason i commented about how close it is to the lights, no matter if its metal housings or not, is because when nick came down on that rock up at moonrocks, he shoved his bumper up into the light and inth the hatch, cracking it. And nick has more room between the light than that.

RWKXJ

You guys make a good point about the space between the lights, I may have to hit it with the grinder and open it up to like 1/4" or something like that...thanks for the complements

EricsXJ

Yeah that bumper looks great!

I agree with putting some space between the bumper and taillight. 3/8" - 1/2" would be better if you can cut it...

4xyota

yep I remember one time when Izzy got stuck in a spot where he was flexed out (before the loker) so me and my dad had to come out and yank him out with trusty old yota and we went to get a chain out of the back and the hatch wouldnt open because the unibody had flexed so much :yup: