Flatbed decking

Sauce

I was thinking about what type of material I could use on my flat bed, any ideas? My original plan was to use aluminum diamond plate (which would look the best and is the cheapest), but then I thought I would try something a little different like the decking on this trailer, it is light and I would have great visibility of my rear tires (which I would lose if I had diamond plate.
flatbed.jpg

What do yall think?

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
if you go with expanded metal I would get "flattened" sheet if you don't it will be like a cheesegrater on your gear.

KYOTA

when I built my 5x8 utility trailer I was going to use diamond plate for the sides but after pricing it it came out to around $400 :eek: ended up using 1/2" expanded steel. For the deck I used treated 8' 2x6"'s. How much weight will the trailer see? will it be enough to bow the expanded steel to where the deck isnt flat anymore? another thing to think about is what materials are you going to haul? rock? sand ? topsoil? grass? is it going to fall thru?

Sauce

good idea smash, any idea on cost for this stuff? I was also thinking I could buy some cheap carpet and put it down over the top and make it removeable.

sten_mitchell

True dat rusty I agree. Mud Sucks, and muddy junk pisses the carnies off. No-one wants to piss the carnies off. It always ends bad for the normal people.

Sauce

How do you guys secure plastic panels and plexiglass to tube? Any ideas appreciated...also recommendations for a place to buy a large sheet of plexiglass...

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
davidt said:
How do you guys secure plastic panels and plexiglass to tube? Any ideas appreciated...also recommendations for a place to buy a large sheet of plexiglass...

usually by using tabs