Gas Prices

Sauce

Who has the cheapest gas in town? What kind of prices you guys seeing. Man, gas is killing me, I am going to go buy a moped so I can be big pimpin' baby :p

davidt said:
Who has the cheapest gas in town? What kind of prices you guys seeing. Man, gas is killing me, I am going to go buy a moped so I can be big pimpin' baby :p

yeah i know what you mean. we are one the roof now of the house that i we are building so work was cancelled today because of the wind...
anyways I had some side work I was trying go find and i was running out of gas and i have like no money right now so i went home to gather change and put $10.51 in and went to sunvalley, came back home and im on empty again.. this morning i put gas and it was 2.53 a gallon im not sure what the norm is but that is what i paid for regular at 7/11.

kairo

Staff member
I put $20 in at walmart. went from 1/4 tank a little over half. I think it was $255 or something a gallon. well, more like $2.55

kairo

Staff member
time to move to Alaska! Also, this afternoon I found that all my tires were different pressures. . . like 40 and 12 on the back. That CAN'T be good for mileage!

NevadaXJ

With driving a company vehicle to and from work each day, I don't even notice the gas prices. Then, when I fill up my car, I have to use 91 octane fuel, so in that case the price is what it is, if I thought about how much I was paying it would drive me nuts. I haven't had to put any gas in the Jeep in about a month because it hasn't really moved. I'm gonna do some minor wheeling tommorrow, so I will probably pay attention to see how much it is in the morning.

dye_dan said:
If I didn't miss one, we're above Cali and second only to Hawaii. How :rainbow:

I thought I heard on the news that we were third in the nations.
1.Hawaii
2.California
3.Nevada 1. being most expensive

mabye im wrong or mabye we are both wrong.... :pizza:

Knight

I'm not sure, but to night i think i saw gas for 2.25 over by huffacker school, maybe some one could check it out

dont tell anyone of my secret

oh! and the secret to good gas milage is a salzall with a good metal blade...
My previous posts were on my green stock xj (95) that we bought off of Davidt.
My cherokee, the hacked red one with 35" tires and stock gears (88),
I get great gas milage in that one, way better than the stock xj.
Its the same 4.0 eccept hacked xj isnt high output. I have to usually drive pretty far to work so in the stock jeep it takes about 1/4 round trip and with hackjob jeep it takes about 3/16. now if you do the math that gives me about a 1/4 advantage to a full tank over the newer nicer jeep.

dye_dan

I thought I heard on the news that we were third in the nations.
1.Hawaii
2.California
3.Nevada 1. being most expensive

I meant we are second on that list that Denis posted - 2nd highest total state and federal tax rate. I'm sure california is actually higher than us for the price per galon - I was just surprised that our taxes were higher than theirs!

EricsXJ

Yeah gas prices suck, and it sucks to be next to California.

IIRC it got up to around $2.50 last year too. There are and have been rumors it will hit $3. Fact is, gas prices go up and down according to supply and demand. If you expect it will sometime in the near future hit $3, then it won't be so painful now to pay $2.50 or even $2.75. Theres nothing you can do so don't get too stressed over it. Very hard I know if your jeep is your only vehicle.

The higher gas prices go, the more I drive the car to work instead. Gets somewhere around 30 mpg.

blackwidow

yea i was looking into buying a little CRX or something that gets good gas just for commute. Actually thinking about a motorcycle now. Who knows.

EricsXJ

blackwidow said:
yea i was looking into buying a little CRX or something that gets good gas just for commute. Actually thinking about a motorcycle now. Who knows.
I hear mopeds get good mileage. :D

blackwidow

hahahahaha......you must have been talking to Davidt. No i'm looking into an actual bike: CBR600 or possibly a harley

dye_dan

When I used to commute 45 minutes each way to school I bought a geo metro! It got 48-50 mpg and payed for itself in gas savings compared to my blazer (10mpg) within a year!!!

I also had a honda nighthawk that got 40 something. Miss that bike :(

Zebaru

I know everyone is going to hate me for this one, but I am one of the few who believe gas taxes should be higher and/or a percentage (like sales tax).

For one, I would rather put the money into the government instead of oil company execs (of course, we then need to re-create the highway trust fund(s) instead of putting all the money into state general funds and other such nonsense).

Higher gas prices should also drive the market to more efficient vehicles, and push the development of new technology. I mean, my 65 pickup with a 390 gets 12 mpg, and a new pickup with a similarly sized engine gets what, 15?. Wow, what a huge increase in 40 years! (I know, it has less emissions...). A little truck like a ranger or s-10 actually gets worse mileage than it did ten or fifteen years ago. There are no new cars other than hybrids that get mileage like the old Geo Metros did (I will save my distaste for hybrids for later).

And if we put enough money into the trust funds to rebuild the interstate system (we pay for it one way or another anyway) on the way to developing signficantly better vehicles, all the better.

Of course, being a pavement/transportation engineer, I may be a little biased...

Travis