Get your Amateur Radio ticket!

Dieder

I had studied for about 4 hours.
My call sign was just posted this morning.
KG7LTE
Checked into my first net this morning (Alaska morning net) and am excited to be using my Baofeng UV-5RE down on The Rubicon this weekend.

4x Adventurer

I had studied for about 4 hours.
My call sign was just posted this morning.
KG7LTE
Checked into my first net this morning (Alaska morning net) and am excited to be using my Baofeng UV-5RE down on The Rubicon this weekend.

Glad to hear you did it! Easier than expected wasn't it?

Dieder

Hello Greg!

Yes it was pretty easy, but I have to admit I memorized more than I really fully understood. The more hands on I am the more I will grasp the concepts. I'd like to come out on some of those comm-games you were telling us about and get some practice. I just have to get my Rubicon back on the trail.

After our brief chat about your HT at 4wheel parts I was inspired to seriously look into it further. I found this thread bought a cheap radio on Amazon and made it happen.
So I have to thank you.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
For those that self study and feel confident with the self testing the VE crew can do a custom test. I will ask the noon net today if there are other local options.

DirtyChemist

Missed a chance to test over the weekend due to being busy. I plan to take the February 15 ham cram in town then I hear there’s is an additional voluntary course a few weeks later to go over using the ham so I might find time to get to that class as well. Seems like I’m getting into this after everyone here got out, but I’m glad I’ll have it. Just scored a 21/35 on my first practice test mostly by guessing, and having spent an hour studying.

DirtyChemist

Passed the technician. Missed out on the General. Unsure exactly what that gets me other than a few more wavelengths I might not use. There was some good info in the class. I DID download a HRE Tech app on my iPad and went through lots of tests leading up to the exam and scored a 33/35.

Now to learn if I’m programming my Baofeng 5 watt correctly. Yeah I know everyone hates them. I didn’t want to spend $60-300 on a handheld from the start.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Welcome to the madness. A vhf/uhf radio in ur rig is a very valuable tool. Some allow text msging where there is no data/cell service. Ideally a mounted full power mobile rig with good external antenna is good plus a hand held for when out on foot spotting, hiking or? With cross band repeat u can use your mobile radio as a mini base station repeater when out hiking. = expanded coverage, safety, etc. if u have any product ideas or questions feel free to post up or PM me.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Passed the technician. Missed out on the General. Unsure exactly what that gets me other than a few more wavelengths I might not use. There was some good info in the class. I DID download a HRE Tech app on my iPad and went through lots of tests leading up to the exam and scored a 33/35.

Now to learn if I’m programming my Baofeng 5 watt correctly. Yeah I know everyone hates them. I didn’t want to spend $60-300 on a handheld from the start.
personally I would get the programming cable for the Baofeng and use Chirp to program it. Chirp is free and the cable is like 15 bucks. If you need help I have both, if you know what frequencies you want to put in.

DirtyChemist

personally I would get the programming cable for the Baofeng and use Chirp to program it. Chirp is free and the cable is like 15 bucks. If you need help I have both, if you know what frequencies you want to put in.
I'm thinking about doing this. I like knowing how to program it in case I ever go somewhere and don't have CHIRP handy. Happened the first time I was in Rubicon. EVERYONE had ham radios programmed by one guy on his computer. NO ONE knew how to program the radio. I figured out how to get into the programming portion having never touched the thing, but knowing how to setup repeaters into a radio wasn't so bad when I could do it on a nice Sunday afternoon. I would like CHIP just to name the frequencies. Much less memory effort required.

Cross band repeat...sounds interesting. I was reading about the radios for mobile use on Myoffroadradio.com and I assumed I wasn't the only person who buys the model they're selling thereby increasing the popularity of the units. Seems like $300 is about what it costs for a quality mobile unit. If I picked up the FTM-100DR does it only send a beacon to other Yaesu models, or can ANY ham with APRS pull up my GPS location? I don't see myself getting into Search and Rescue, BUT if I have the equipment to help out like a handheld, and a mobile unit capable of cross band repeat....it's not the worst thing to do. My other hobby includes running long distances which might help with locating someone.