Getting Around Smog Check?

Scrub

I Need to finally register my jeep in my name, and im pretty sure that its not gonna pass smog, it runs okay and doesent smoke but with how messed up my vaccuum lines are and everything im sure that it wont pass smog. so my question would be does anyone know the easiest way to get around smogging it for this year? have any friends that could help me out for some extra cash? :yup:

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Does DMV require a Physical Address or can you register a car to a PO Box in Fernley?

DBXJ

well with mine its registered in story county and i still get the reg down here what u do is tell them it stays up there as a work vehical if not i have access to a PO box up in VC

Scrub

Im just trying to figure out if they are gonna give me a hard time about it, cause my insurance is for my address here in sparks but i want to register it out of Washoe county, i can run to either carson city or fernley and get a PO box just for that but i dont know if they allow it or not.

sten_mitchell

Universal cat at kragen is $80 if you could swing it, and it would guaranteed make your jeep pass smog.
If not that then take it to one of the smog shops in the ghetto and tell them you will throw in a couple extra bucks... Theyll hepp you out fo sho!

Connect

I think if the vacuum lines are messed up they can tell fairly easily and it won't pass. I suggest doin what DBXJ does and register it were he does, use his P.O. Box if they don't buy the story that it spends most of the time there.

Shouldn't be any trouble but you never know. Here in Cali some shops offer you a pre-smog that runs the smog test and let's you know if it will or will not pass, and it doesn't go into the computer so you can fix it and come back. Cost like $20 plus the regular $49 smog, maybe nevada is different I dunno.

Or if you want p.o. boxes are cheap so you can rent one out of washoe and use that for insurance and Reg if they have to be the same address.

Sauce

you can get a universal cat from summit for around $50, you probably need the 2 and 1/4" version ;)

xjmoser

It is illegal to use a false address to register your vehicle.

For those of you that do I hope you get caught...... :yup:

Scrub

Well if i go and Get a PO box its not a False Address its just one of my "other" address's.

Right?

Connect

Yea I don't recal the law that said your address has to be a physical one to register the vehicle, if matt want's to become like co-owner of DBXJ's box then it wouldn't be illegal. (you know split the cost)

Sasquatch

Premium Member
I think you have to have a physical address in the county in which you register the car I believe. I have a friend that lives up there in Silver City, so I use their Phys. addy, and then have the paperwork sent to my post office box (which is the one in Golden valley :eek: ) I guess they haven't really noticed that yet. Bjt thats how I get around it with all the Brats :D

MR.ROCKAPE

Dmv wants a physical address,they wont register your car to a po box,if I were you ,I would use a non county address and tell them you just moved there so you havent gotten the correct insurance card yet.
Up until I quit the dealership I had a 1G and 2G smog lic. but since Granite doesnt have a Smog machine I cant do smogs.
In washoe county it is illegal to do a pre smog, BIG FINE.They will charge you for a smog fail it, then they can use the machine to dial it in for some $$$ but only if it is a 2G shop a 1G (smog only not repair)cannot repair it for you so you might ask before they do the test.
I know the shell on mill and kietzke is a 2G shop and he only charges $21.95 for the smog+repair if you need that.

DBXJ

whats strange is that my last registartion was sent to my house here not my PO box when i went down to reg. it they did ask for smog or anything

PizzaJeep

dbxj: look at your post, read it and see if that made any sense to you.. because it sure as hell made no sense to me.... spell check is your friend, but you also need like a grammar check on this thing to truly help you

DBXJ

okay pizzaboy instead of sending it to my PO box in VC they sent it to my house in stead when i went and renewed the regitration they didnt ask anything about my adress or to the fact it was sent to a 89506 zip and not a story county zip

86xjfor8

PizzaJeep said:
dbxj: look at your post, read it and see if that made any sense to you.. because it sure as hell made no sense to me.... spell check is your friend, but you also need like a grammar check on this thing to truly help you
uh I don't get it what was the problem it made perfect sense to me