Ghost town tour

cag33

I am a member of the Joaquin Jeepers in Stockton Ca and we were talking about a run. I suggested a Ghost town tour some weekend in Oct. Where would you guys go to make a weekend out of it? Mine sites and interesting sites could also be thrown in. Carson Dayton area. Thanks for any responses.
Also there was post a while back that showed a trail marker that had a skull and crossbones. I believe it was at a trail intersection like there was an easy trail one way and then a hard way. Are there any spots to camp an then access a couple trails and spend a weekend?

Bill

Sounds fun to me!
Old mine sites are easy to find, marked on maps and historical books with maps. There is almost always concrete and rusted iron. The town sites can very difficult to locate because there is usually nothing left. When the towns died they tore down the houses and buildings and took the wood with them to the next mine. Do some homework and find a couple of books about Nevada history. Virginia city is a great place to start. And branch out from there. In case you can't tell. I am a huge fan of this subject. It's my favorite type of adventure. I live in reno, and do research for my trips every chance I get.
As far as camping goes. Be prepared for primitive. Very few developed camp grounds in the desert.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
We are assembling a GT run in October to cover the Lassen/apple gate trail plus some interesting sites such as tunnel camp. Plus lots more. Historic grave sites, places of incredible tragedy and success. Scossa, for example. And a few side canyons of special interest.

Deewelch

I am a member of the Joaquin Jeepers in Stockton Ca and we were talking about a run. I suggested a Ghost town tour some weekend in Oct. Where would you guys go to make a weekend out of it? Mine sites and interesting sites could also be thrown in. Carson Dayton area. Thanks for any responses.
Also there was post a while back that showed a trail marker that had a skull and crossbones. I believe it was at a trail intersection like there was an easy trail one way and then a hard way. Are there any spots to camp an then access a couple trails and spend a weekend?
This is the best thing to do!

mbuenavides

What an early preparation for Halloween? I guess a lot of us are excited to see how this will go. Make sure to keep us posted with the happenings.

Bill

We are assembling a GT run in October to cover the Lassen/apple gate trail plus some interesting sites such as tunnel camp. Plus lots more. Historic grave sites, places of incredible tragedy and success. Scossa, for example. And a few side canyons of special interest.
Sounds like a great run. Are you gonna post details on here. This summer has been non existent so far. I'd bet there would be a lot of interest. BTW, I'll bring the beer.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Sounds like a great run. Are you gonna post details on here. This summer has been non existent so far. I'd bet there would be a lot of interest. BTW, I'll bring the beer.
We were headed out next week but it’s so ugly hot. We want to walk around the ruins, not huddle in the vehicle with AC. Mid to late october is nice time in n nevada. Will post up here as more is known.

Bill

We were headed out next week but it’s so ugly hot. We want to walk around the ruins, not huddle in the vehicle with AC. Mid to late october is nice time in n nevada. Will post up here as more is known.
Thanks, I'll be watching for that.

cag33

This sounds like a fun trip. Would you mind a few more folks tagging along? Would this be a mild tour or would we need wheelin rigs? One day, two?