Go prepared?

Fish Sticks

I met an interesting fellow while returning from a bird hunting trip yesterday out by Gerlach. He was walking down a dirt road, miles from anything. He stops me to ask directions to Empire. Perplexed I ask why he intends on undertaking such a long journey, so late in the day, with minimal gear. He advises that his truck had broken down and he was not sure where he was at.
I offer him a ride, he gladly accepts. My buddy isn't giving up shotgun so we make room for our new friend in the back of my XJ. No rear seat, full size spare secured to the floor, 2 tool boxes, 2 hunting dogs, cooler, etc.. Its a tight fit. I ask if he would like to go to his rig to get anything (thinking the rig would be left overnight). He responds that his wife and dogs are back at the truck. Man if I could have got a picture of the look on my buddies face. :eek:
We drive back to his rig and notify his wife we are taking him to town. We have 12 miles of dirt and then 90 miles back to town. On the way back he claims to have the repair parts (chevy IFS tierod) and mechanical knowledge. We drop him off at his house around 5:00 p.m. and make him promise to go get his wife and dogs.
The guy didn't even offer to buy us a beer or anything. Oh well

Connect

A good deed will always be returned someday, You'll understand when it happens to you. I picked up a guy who had rolled his quad and broken his hip on verdi peak at like 9 pm, at least him and his buddy's were grateful but I would do it for free anytime.

throttleboy

i use to have a 79 power wagon on 40s(very noticeable truck) i had (and still do) help a lot of ppl out gas,rides,pulled ppl out anyway one night my trans went out i no sooner got off the road and out of the truck and there were 2 trucks behind me and one in front all ppl i had helped in the past!! it pays to help, MOST ppl dont forget!!

Fish Sticks

I will stop to help anyone offroad, but on the freeway I don't. :scratch:
But would you leave your wife behind, and would she let you?

Connect

Now you see that why the smart men never take their wifes :)

If it was an expensive enough rig and a short trip I would leave her there :) Someones walking and I know its not gonna be the wife!

No I'm not married either, thank god.

4X4BABE

Connect said:
Now you see that why the smart men never take their wifes :)

If it was an expensive enough rig and a short trip I would leave her there :) Someones walking and I know its not gonna be the wife!

No I'm not married either, thank god.
sheeeiiit....u guys r missing the point..this is y u dont let the husbands drive...i would never let my hubby (i doubt ill ever marry) drive my ride...hell be car surfin if i did happen to break down

Fish Sticks

How many wifes (10+ years) go hunting and fishing with their husbands? Guy was kind of lucky, or he was leaving her for dead and we screwed up his plan .

Connect

I thought you took the guy home and left her out there with the dogs? May of only helped him get home faster :)

haleyanthony

"How many wifes (10+ years) go hunting and fishing with their husbands? " I've been married for 10 almost 11 years and my wife wheels with me as much as her job permits. My 10 year old daughter wheels with me almost every time i go out. My wife can handle the jeep better than most men can handle one. My daughter does all right but she likes the mud to much. now back to basics. I carry as much spare parts and tools as can be carried. I don't wheel alone. I always have 2 or more rigs. If I am going to wheel alone I aint gonna have the wife with me it defeats the purpose. I can only think of one reason to take the wife off road alone. We aint gotta go a 100 miles for that. I agree totally irresponsible. WOW. My wife woulda killed me. I wouldnot have went back I would not have dared to.
haley

Sierra Valley

If she was hot, I would of kicked him out and had her hop in:D . You guys could of left her over at Bruno's Bar at least. He's a real friendly guy:bs:

scottb

i used to be a little overprepared (waiting for money to be that way again), 5 days of water, 20 days of food, spare parts etc... i've been places where if u broke you'd be screwed and it's reassuring knowing you at least have time...
i've found so many people out in the desert and forests that needed help and i always help no questions asked (unless it looks like you stole the junk)... man some people need to prepare for at least an overnighter...

4X4BABE

scottb said:
i used to be a little overprepared (waiting for money to be that way again), 5 days of water, 20 days of food, spare parts etc... i've been places where if u broke you'd be screwed and it's reassuring knowing you at least have time...
i've found so many people out in the desert and forests that needed help and i always help no questions asked (unless it looks like you stole the junk)... man some people need to prepare for at least an overnighter...
yeah im the same way when it comes to preparation...i always have all that crap plus some blankets and **** just in case someone needs them or u decide to do some spontaneous camping:woot: :woot:

rusty_tlc

In every vehicle;
$20 worth of HF tools in an ammo box , a couple of Self heating MRE's $12 from Twin City, cheap jumpers and a folding shovel, and a wool blanket (cause you never know when you might want to "camp"). ;)

kairo

Staff member
I'm guilty of travelling light. When I'm just driving during the day I dont even have a spare tire. No tools typically. Few bottles of water, and a packing blanket. Most of the time though I carry my C02 tank and patch kit so I can fix a tire. But honestly, I'm not worried about a flat tire with those good MT/Rs (knock on wood).

Going on a trip however is an entirely different story. I bring enough crap to set up residence comfortably in africa for a month

Sierra Valley

My windshield states it all. WARN GO PREPARED WARN

I have one spare axle for dana front, the other needs a new inner so I will have two replacements soon.
5 qts of oil until it runs out (leak bucket)
gallon antifreeze
gallon + of water for radiator
camelbak for drinking water
power steering fluid
can of fix a flat
axe
shovel
chainsaw sometimes
8000 lb winch
20 ft. tow strap
5 ft chain/cable w/ hooks
baby wipes to clean up if needed
3 different tool bags that have whatever I would need to fix about anything on the trail
extra fan belt
flash lights
paper to start fire
2 gallons gas
1 MRE (veg.) b/c thats the best
various power bars
hi-lift jack
lug nut breaker
full size spare
sleeping bag
blanket
rags
Carhart Jacket
probably a few others I forgot but thats most of it

I would say I am well prepared as I need to be w/ an old jeep that has probably near 200K miles.

stv in bfe

4x4babe said:
yeah im the same way when it comes to preparation...i always have all that crap plus some blankets and **** just in case someone needs them or u decide to do some spontaneous camping:woot: :woot:
now you just need to throw some tools and a spare tire in w/ your blankets:yes: :D