Good lightweight chainsaw?

DJRENO

Premium Member
I have an Echo 310. Light and starts easily. Same price. Don't have experience with the stihl

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
No experience with the 170 or 171 but I believe mine is an MS 251 woodboss and its been extremely reliable and all around good saw. I would recommend that one and up as they're generally a little better built. If you have a good saw you'll probably find yourself using it more too.

kairo

Staff member
Echo, Husky, Stihl, Poulan. Any of those with the bar length you want and the budget you need to meet will be fine saws.

I have an 18 year old Poulan that still starts on the second pull. My dad and brother run huskys and echos. My dad's old husky is still going after 30 years.

Just pick a name brand in your budget and I don't think you'll go wrong!

WJeeper

Echo, Husky, Stihl, Poulan. Any of those with the bar length you want and the budget you need to meet will be fine saws.

I have an 18 year old Poulan that still starts on the second pull. My dad and brother run huskys and echos. My dad's old husky is still going after 30 years.

Just pick a name brand in your budget and I don't think you'll go wrong!
Id agree mostly, but Im not sure Id include Poulan in that list. I tried a new one a couple years ago and it was really tough to get started, once it warmed up it was ok, but after sitting for a bit, it took a while to get it going. returned it for an echo, and 180degree difference. It sits for 6 months outside in its case, and usually only takes 2-3 pulls to start up. I forget it and treat it like crap, but it still works great. So echo would have my vote for best performance for the cost. Obviously husqvarna and stihl are best, but pricey.

kairo

Staff member
Id agree mostly, but Im not sure Id include Poulan in that list. I tried a new one a couple years ago and it was really tough to get started, once it warmed up it was ok, but after sitting for a bit, it took a while to get it going. returned it for an echo, and 180degree difference. It sits for 6 months outside in its case, and usually only takes 2-3 pulls to start up. I forget it and treat it like crap, but it still works great. So echo would have my vote for best performance for the cost. Obviously husqvarna and stihl are best, but pricey.

I mentioned Poulan only because when I moved from Washington to Reno in 2002, in 2005, the people that had bought our house called my pops and asked if we'd left a chainsaw in the woods. We sure did. I had won that Poulan saw as a kid in my early teens at a Ducks unlimited banquet raffle. And being a stupid kid I'd left my saw sitting on a log in the woods on our property. It sat outside for years before it made its way back to me, and it still runs like a champ today.

Like most things the quality has probably gone down over the years, but my trusty green Poulan rain forest misfit runs like a champ.

WILLD420

Premium Member
Whatever you get, make sure you carry the tools and parts to change a plug, a chain and a pull rope. Otherwise, they are all decent to good. Buy the ethanol free canned gas. It keeps better and the cans don't leak.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Little known fact - Shindaiwa and Echo are the same saw. The only difference is that the Echo is orange and the Shindaiwa is red. Shindaiwa and Echo are both owned by Yamabiko.