Group Overlanding

sierrahsky

For those of you who overland here is anyone in to group overlanding? We are looking at doing a few trips this year and thought it might be interesting to see how a group trip went?

Some Ideas:? Thoughts guys?
Death Valley
Grand Canyon / Moab
Cascade Natl Forest
Across Nevada

Air Sierra

Staff member
We were planning a DV trip but might change it a DV to Grand Canyon then back across NV trip April 16-24 plans so far..

Air Sierra

Staff member
Yes we have done group runs across NV it needs to be a limited vehical run, It make the trip a lot better for all involved.

My wife will be 6 months prego on the April run. So we were planning a basic run with basic off roading and sticking to National parks this time.

sierrahsky

Yes we have done group runs across NV it needs to be a limited vehical run, It make the trip a lot better for all involved.

My wife will be 6 months prego on the April run. So we were planning a basic run with basic off roading and sticking to National parks this time.
What kind of time did it take to cross nv?

sierrahsky

I would recommend no larger the 6-10 rigs, anything bigger then that and it becomes a cluster.
Are there any reasons why you would want to stay with only certain types of rigs? My thought was if you had a huge vehicle and a little vehicle it might make it more difficult in terrain changes. Also Do you have any trips you want to do a group overland on coming up?

Bitosin

You are singing to my "Bucket List" dream here. I've never been east of Nevada and my dream is to obtain a vehicle that would be off-road capable, but highway comfortable and cross the US visiting with as many other clubs for a day run and see as much of this great country and it's natural wonders as I can. Maybe stop off at a few of the classic ammusement parks along the way ( I like roller-coasters too). I know I've bit off on heck of a mouthfull, but it is worth dreaming about.!

sierrahsky

You are singing to my "Bucket List" dream here. I've never been east of Nevada and my dream is to obtain a vehicle that would be off-road capable, but highway comfortable and cross the US visiting with as many other clubs for a day run and see as much of this great country and it's natural wonders as I can. Maybe stop off at a few of the classic ammusement parks along the way ( I like roller-coasters too). I know I've bit off on heck of a mouthfull, but it is worth dreaming about.!
That is what my girlfriend and I are actually doing this year. We are going to go up the coast all the way to alaska and have 6 trail runs laid out with a few tacoma guys on the way up.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
March or April would be good for us, we have siberian huskies so if were going south we need to do it before it gets crazy hot!

Shave the hounds! LOL

i head out to ely every mid march for the white pine rally and many trails are still blocked by north facing snow drifts. once had to back track over 100 miles to get around and the truck was running un fumes... too early = snow issues, too late = HOT HOT HOT.

IMO a run across NV is best suited for sept or oct. mild days and cool nights and no snow issues.

sierrahsky

Shave the hounds! LOL

i head out to ely every mid march for the white pine rally and many trails are still blocked by north facing snow drifts. once had to back track over 100 miles to get around and the truck was running un fumes... too early = snow issues, too late = HOT HOT HOT.

IMO a run across NV is best suited for sept or oct. mild days and cool nights and no snow issues.
Thats interesting, I dont have much experience going across desert area, I stick to the northern states but am trying to learn. When would be the best time to do a arizona grand canyon, utah, northern nevada loop?

sierrahsky

I would if I had the money to do so.
With most of our trips we spend pretty much just gas money and for a few days max of $50 on food. And if we go as a group it can help on kit as well. Maybe we could get a small group of 5 together for a couple few days or something.