Handgun selection

Rock Raptor

My wife carries a Black Ruger P-90 .45 and will not shoot anything else. I own a S&W 44 mag, 3-9mm's, and a host of other handguns, but my concealed carry and desert packing pistol is a matching Ruger P-90 .45 in Stainless. No one has ever seen it while concealed either in a shoulder rig, or on the hip under a windbreaker or long shirt. I have wore it so long now, I don't even know it's there. In comparison, the P-90 is really not noticably any different than the same model in 9mm, and along the same size as other mid framed models in 9mm and .45's.

Go for the extra energy and get the larger caliber.

Shot count is not near as important as shot placement. 17, 9mm rounds isn't going to matter if you can't place the shots. If you can't hit the target, the number of rounds is not really going to make a big differences, except only in the averages of having more rounds and having some luck.

Statics (and I have no instant reference, just what I was taught) say a person hit with a 9mm or smaller will suffer a loss of blood pressure from not only the wound but from the shock of being shot. The penetration or load of the bullet will not allow it to travel that far into the body since it is a small projectile, carrying less energy. After a few seconds, the person will somewhat recover and continue the attack. The FBI agent that I learned from says if the only thing you have is a 9mm, fire all available rounds, then run and only look back after you are at a safe distance.

The same person hit with a 357, 40, 44, or 45 will recieve a heavier projectile with more energy and greater penetration, thus increasing the chance of greater injury. Add FMJHP's and the damage path doubles with depth as the projectile fragments and continues into more vital areas due to more bullet weight and energy.

If ever in the situation, I would rather fire a couple rounds well placed and know that the receipient is not going to get back up. Besides, if they live, they will sue you, even if they were trying to kill you first. The lawyers will see that they get something for being the victim of you carrying a firearm and not giving in to being assaulted and letting them take your property. So make sure you have something that will keep you from getting sued.:D

I know the 9mm supporters don't like the explanation, but it gives you something to think about.

Oh, and with practice, that first hard trigger pull can be just as accurate as the 7 other light trigger pulls. I never fire the first round cocked, and I practice often enough that I can shoot the same group with the first round and the last.

Plinking at cans is fun, but by practice, I mean going out, getting a real silouette, marking off the distances, and scoring yourself on the hits. With time at 7 yards, you can put 4 of your 7 rounds practically in the same hole, and know your going to be in the kill zone with each round. Being good at 7 yards and closer is all your ever going to have to be good at to protect yourself.

Finally, Holster selection is just as important as the handgun you decide on and you get what you pay for. A cheap holster will feel cheap, wheras a higher quality one will hold up better, and is designed to not only holster the handgun, but feel comfortable while your carrying.

Frontier Sporting Goods here in Fallon can get you into a P-90 .45 for just over 4 bills plus the brady. There might be someone selling them a touch cheaper in Reno, but I doubt it.

Rafterman

fronteer in Fallon, longs in Reno or shooters shack on wells all ave the best prices I have found. If you know some one with a firearms dealer licence you could get a good deal there as well.

kairo

Staff member
I like the look and size of the ruger P90. It has an ambidextrous safety too, which is good since I'm left handed.
I think you guys have pretty much sold me on the .45, .357, or .40

Rock Raptor

kairo said:
what does that mean exactly? That you cock the slide, then fire, fire, fire etc.?

If you're carrying, don't you want to keep the weapon so that there's not a round chambered, but all you have to do is cycle the action then you're ready to go?

If your carrying for protection, keep a round in the chamber and the safety on!
If your buying if just to have it, leave it in the case unloaded.

If you need it in an emergency, the assailant is going to OWN you by the time you pull the firearm, rack one in the chamber, release the safety and take aim.

Practice, Grab, Draw, Rock and Lock, Extend and Release Safety, Point and Pull all with one hand :)google: the "Modified Weaver Position). If you have to think about it, even just for a second, they will have your firearm, you will be the victim of your firearm, and they will win. Most altercations involving a firearm are over just about that fast.

Did you know that a person with a knife at 7 yards can stab you in the belly before you can get the firearm out of the holster and into firing postion. Don't beleive? Get a friend and try it with a stick and a fake gun in your wast band. That's why good firearms classes also teach environments and tatics along with shooting skills.:eek:t:

kairo

Staff member
Rock Raptor said:
If your carrying for protection, keep a round in the chamber and the safety on!
If your buying if just to have it, leave it in the case unloaded.

If you need it in an emergency, the assailant is going to OWN you by the time you pull the firearm, rack one in the chamber, release the safety and take aim.

Practice, Grab, Draw, Rock and Lock, Extend and Release Safety, Point and Pull all with one hand :)google: the "Modified Weaver Position). If you have to think about it, even just for a second, they will have your firearm, you will be the victim of your firearm, and they will win. Most altercations involving a firearm are over just about that fast.

Did you know that a person with a knife at 7 yards can stab you in the belly before you can get the firearm out of the holster and into firing postion. Don't beleive? Get a friend and try it with a stick and a fake gun in your wast band. That's why good firearms classes also teach environments and tatics along with shooting skills.:eek:t:

I was doing some reading earlier, and it said you have about 2 seconds to everything before you're in trouble. That's pretty darn quick. I'm not sure exactly how often I want to carry. I dont really want to carry it around during the day, but I would like the gun available if I have to go in to work late at night (right off of neil road :eek:) or when I'm out in the woods. Basically I'd like to carry if there's any chance I may need to use the weapon. Since I'm still in college, I can't carry during the day, as I can't bring the gun on campus, and I certainly don't want to leave it in my jeep in case it's stolen

willyj

kairo said:
I was doing some reading earlier, and it said you have about 2 seconds to everything before you're in trouble. That's pretty darn quick. I'm not sure exactly how often I want to carry. I dont really want to carry it around during the day, but I would like the gun available if I have to go in to work late at night (right off of neil road :eek:) or when I'm out in the woods. Basically I'd like to carry if there's any chance I may need to use the weapon. Since I'm still in college, I can't carry during the day, as I can't bring the gun on campus, and I certainly don't want to leave it in my jeep in case it's stolen

Tuffy console lock box.
or redneck like me. ammo can bolted to the floorboard with a hasp and lock on it.

flyboy

Hey Kairo,
check oout www.sierrafirearms.com. They have a forum like this one, but its all guns and ammo. They welcome new guys and there too, there is a wealth of info from informed individuals.
I carry a springfield XD 9. I love it. Its light, its accurate its VERY concealabel and there are two safeties...One on the grip and one on the trigger, so the gun will NOT fire unless both safeties are depressed. I ALWAYS carry with a round chambered. I have a beretta 40 as well which is a JOY to shoot, but it is NOT at all practical for carrying.
I have the same thought as you as far as cost of ammo is concerned. That is why I went with a 9mm for this gun. Plinking is EXPENSIVE and 9mm are CHEAP. Walmart sells 1000 rounds of 9mm for about 100 bucks.
I really like bizarre guns. They have a great selection and competitve prices.
I had a the ruger p89...One of the BEST guns I owned, but theyre BIG and the action is really pretty sloppy.

Congrats on the CCW! Im glad to hear that you got it.
BTW, I used to carry at school (UNR)...dont tell anyone!

Flyboy

Sauce

what is your opinion rok-jeep (I know you are in law enforcement), my wife either wants an springfield armory xd-40 or a beretta (mainly for home protection and to learn with). I like the xd-40 personally...

rok-jeep

Sauce said:
what is your opinion rok-jeep (I know you are in law enforcement), my wife either wants an springfield armory xd-40 or a beretta (mainly for home protection and to learn with). I like the xd-40 personally...

I carry a glock on duty right now, I was telling Kairo that I am selling my Glock 17 (9mm) right now and asking if he was interested in it. I don't have much experience with the Beretta but I have a friend that carries the springfield right now and likes it. The idea is very similar to a Glock with the poly lower. I personally would consider a Glock its reliable and tried and ture. I'm getting my Kimber 1911 TLE stainless on Thursday. If Kairo is not intersted in my glock tell your wife about it and see what she thinks. It comes with 3 high cap mags and both a pancake and paddle style holster. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll let you know the price...its very reasonable.

Geoff

RARECJ8

Premium Member
once i started to carry the HK USP .40, i have never gone back to the .45. wondernine or anything else.

100% flawless performance.

spendy? yes.
worth every penny? yes!

mb

renojeepster

I got my Glock 19 used for $300. I love it but it's a little small for my hand. I shot a model 21(45 cal), and fit my hand like a glove. That will be my next handgun.

xjmoser

Nick do you want to go shooting sunday?

You can try my G30.

Maybe a couple people will show up so there is a variety.

kairo

Staff member
xjmoser said:
Nick do you want to go shooting sunday?

You can try my G30.

Maybe a couple people will show up so there is a variety.

Sounds good what kind of ammo should I bring? I probably wont know till saturday though if I have to work on sunday or not.

xjmoser

kairo said:
Sounds good what kind of ammo should I bring? I probably wont know till saturday though if I have to work on sunday or not.

I will pick up some more ammo. Pick up some silhouettes if you want.

Any one else interested?

We can go up peavine around Golden Valley.