hard to start

tatjr79

79 cj7 with 258.Recently put on a MC2100 and HEI ignition.Tuned the carb and timing with vacuum gauge and double checked the timing with a timing light.Timing is currently set at 11-12 btdc.Plugs were gapped @.50, there was some carbon buildup on them so I regapped them to .45.Nothing.Here's what's going on, when you first try to starting it takes about ten seconds for it to catch.When you turn it off and restart it fires right up.Then if you wait 5 minutes it takes ten seconds to catch again. Any ideas?

Buck85

A couple of ideas

Hi, let me throw a couple of ideas at you. Maybe you are too rich, and flooding it. What venturis are in the 2100? The MC carb to get is the 1.08. Also, did you relocate your fuel line from stock position? Is it lower than stock? There could be a fuel delivery issue.

I put in a Weber with a fuel pressure regulator and the fuel line runs almost straight down from the carb. I have the exact issue you are having. If it sits for a while, I have to hold down the gas for a while, but it starts up if only sitting for a little bit. Good luck.

tatjr79

Thanks for the response.Shouldn't be to rich adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge.I have not relocated the fuel line and the carb is the 1.08.I'm probably going to an electric fuel pump and see if that helps.