harmonic balancer

DBXJ

okay so i need to get thye harmonic balancer off my jeep and i dont have a impact wrench to get the retainer bolt off it with does anyone have any ideas how to get it off with out one?

and i already have the harmonic balancer puller and what not its just a matter of getting the bolt off

dye_dan

Can you use a pry-bar or something on the flywheel to hold it still while you use a breaker bar to loosen the bolt? It's a two-person job though probably.

DBXJ

well it would just be easyer to have someone stand on the brake too i have the tirs blocked but it still moves a little and it in gear too

rusty_tlc

I had a lot of trouble getting the staked retainer nut's off my T-case output shafts.
I finaly put a box end wrench on the nut and tapped it with a hammer. Sorta like an impact wrench, but a lot slower.

mvrunner

There is a way that I use to break lose the crank bolt but you must be very careful! Use a long 1/2" breaker bar with the appropiate size socket and put it in place and rotate it down so that the breaker bar is laying snug against the steering box or frame rail, place a heavy rag or towel over it, disconnect the coil wire so that the motor won't start, get in the vehicle and bump the starter just once. That should break lose the bolt so that it will easily come out. I have used this method on replacing about 5 harmonic balancers. This job can be done with only removing the front skid if you have one. Just make sure to use a installer tool to put the new balancer on, I saw what one guy did using a hammer! Good luck

DBXJ

well ive come to it need to get an impact wrench its not baging an inch though i can move the vehical even though its blocked and locked in place so
and i guess now i need to get an installer tool unless its in this box of harmonic puller stuff though for some reason i have 2 sets of them

DBXJ

mvrunner said:
There is a way that I use to break lose the crank bolt but you must be very careful! Use a long 1/2" breaker bar with the appropiate size socket and put it in place and rotate it down so that the breaker bar is laying snug against the steering box or frame rail, place a heavy rag or towel over it, disconnect the coil wire so that the motor won't start, get in the vehicle and bump the starter just once. That should break lose the bolt so that it will easily come out. I have used this method on replacing about 5 harmonic balancers. This job can be done with only removing the front skid if you have one. Just make sure to use a installer tool to put the new balancer on, I saw what one guy did using a hammer! Good luck

hey well your iedea worked thanks though i broke a socket but i got pleny so thanks
now my question is does any one have a harmonic balancer insatll tool i might be able to use in a few days

mvrunner

The install tool can be kind of pricey(luckily I can borrow one from a mechanic I know, but he is not into lending tools out). You could probably make one out of the right size all thread, just cut long enough so that you can get it in there. Then use a thick flat washer with the right size nut. You will have to have a way to hold the end of the all thread with a wrench(you could just grind down two flat sides at the end) Put the all thread rod in the crank with the nut and washer already on it, then hold the all thread with a wrench and tighten down the nut. Just make sure that you are going down evenly so that you don't damage the seal, also make sure that you get the balancer fully seated. Good luck.

DBXJ

well i checked on the price i can get one for around 30$ from i think it was kragens and its a universal kit soi think ill get that just to expand my tool collection
i could call my dad for on but it would just be a matter of getting down there

DBXJ

well i got it pulled and what not now i just need to get another one im think about just goin to the junck yard and pullin another one with the pully already on it then to press in an new one with another rubber seal

PizzaJeep

if you need to, i can bring my jeep over with an impact wrench and you can air tool it off... ahh the miracles of on board air!!! if you need any help or air tool action let me know!

DBXJ

well i decided to get onbe from a junk yard its far easyer so im more than likly gonna need somthin like that

DBXJ

well i got a new one and its on there it done and fixed still need to get a belt but it can wait