Has any one here done a 249 to 231 swap?

Has any one here done a 249 to 231 swap? I’m thinking about doing it with my zj and feel I would need guidance to pull off. I’m assuming It would also be a good time to do an SYE. I like the idea of 2wd for road driving

ZJchukar

Find a case that has the correct input shaft length as they came in THREE different sizes. You have to match the input length of the case to the output of the trans. Mine was off by a touch and it ended up leaking at the trans output seal since the input didn't go far enough in to seal properly. My solution? I put RTV between the case and transmission and moved on but I'd source the correct parts if I had to do it again. I had a bookmark with a ton of info in it but I don't have a ZJ anymore so I deleted a lot of that stuff. My point is that Google will help you find the specs for all that.

The swap itself wasn't terrible but it was a lot of little stuff. The two top bolts are a pain in the ass to get to but mine came off fairly easily. You'll have to get creative since it's a small space up there. The shift linkage didn't match up so I bought something specifically for this, Mountain Vista Fab sells the adapter, very handy. I had a 231 that already had an SYE installed so I can't comment on that but I did refresh the bearings and seals. You'll need to be very careful when installing the oil pump. It's got little notches that line up on the inside of the case and if they shift at all when putting the case back together, you're gonna have a bad time. I had issues with the throw of my shifter after it was all done so make sure you run through all the gears BEFORE buttoning everything up. One last thing and it's kind of general knowledge anyway...you may get rubber washers with your new yokes. Those smash up real nice and give you a good seal. Don't sweat it if you didn't get one or lost it. Goop up a little RTV on the splines AFTER you slide the yoke on and run the nut down.

I don't have a lot of spare time these days but if you want a hand, let me know when you're planning to start this and I'll see if I can make it work. Good luck!