Hiking stove? Cool idea.

Sasquatch

Premium Member
I've made a couple like it from soup cans. I need to make a pot stand still, but they burn for 10+ minutes on a little alcahol.

rusty_tlc

I made one out of Fosters Lager cans one time, it burned for a long time. One problem with this type of stove is that alcohol is a low BTU / pound fuel. The stoves also blow out easily, probably okay some place in the world but not anywhere around here.
So by the time you add up the weight of the stove, a wind screen, pot stand, and lots of fuel. You may very well be looking at as much weight as a conventional backpacking stove.

Sasquatch

Premium Member
I made one out of Fosters Lager cans one time, it burned for a long time. One problem with this type of stove is that alcohol is a low BTU / pound fuel. The stoves also blow out easily, probably okay some place in the world but not anywhere around here.
So by the time you add up the weight of the stove, a wind screen, pot stand, and lots of fuel. You may very well be looking at as much weight as a conventional backpacking stove.

Yeah, that's why I haven't taken mine yet. I decided to stick with my msr pocketrocket.

nameless

lol i like how they emphasize the sanding of the cans and hanger but you're cooking with heet and fiberglass... i wouldn't be too worried about the outside of the can and hanger lol