History of the Zebaru

Zebaru

Well, since we have a new forum and everything, I guess I should go ahead and re-introduce myself.

My name is Travis, and I am a civil engineer working in South Reno. I'm all about the research, and I don't do any local work or design work, so don't worry... I grew up in Southwest Washington, got a couple of degrees from the University of Washington, and moved down to Reno in 2000 for my job.

My first 4x4 was an 84 Subaru GL wagon. I zebra striped it, built a front brush guard, taillight guards, a roof rack, and ran (huge!)195/75r14's on Peugeot rims. This car is the genesis of the name Zebaru - Zebra + Subaru = Zebaru. The avatar pic is the only one I have left of the beast, and it was taken right after the paint job, but before the other stuff.

The car eventually died for a number of reasons, and I moved on to an 82 GL wagon, which inherited everything except the paint job. I got a weber carb, ran it hard for a couple of years, and basically killed it desert running. There were so many rust holes that I had to keep the windows down or the dust in the cab would get so bad I couldn't see out. I still miss the high(er) speed handling of the low, all independent suspension rig when I am running gravel roads. I don't miss the lack of power, clearance, and flex. I still have it, but am not sure what will become of it.

The rig I run out on the trails is an 88 XJ on 31's. D44/D30, 4.56, Tru-trac front, zexel-torsen? rear (like a tru-trac), OME ~2" lift with 1" spacer/MJ shackles - sits at 3" maybe. Cut front and rear quarters, homebrew bumpers/rock rails/roof rack/rear diff guard/x-member/disconnects. JKS trackbar, RE superflex lowers & adjustable uppers. I don't have any good pictures of this doing anything other than sitting still. There will be more pictures of my modifications later I hope, but this one will give you a basic idea:
jeepcleans.JPG

I have a few other cars as well, and they honestly get more of my atttention than the Jeep ever does. I have:
95 Firebird convertible - summer car
91 Subaru Justy - winter car
99 Kia Sephia - commute car
65 Ford F100 - everyone needs a truck
59 Ford Custom 300 Business Coupe - My dad gave this one to me when I was 16, and I have been wasting money on it since.
55 Buick Special 4dr hardtop - in pieces, still waiting its turn

I figure I can sneak some pictures of them in here to, even though they aren't 4x4.

My 1959 Ford. The only picture I have online right now is of the engine. Basically stock 292 y-block with headers and 3 holley 94s on an Edelbrock intake. Howe aluminum radiator, Brake master/booster/prop valve from some year Cad (upgrade to run the 4 wheel discs), GM alternator. The air filters are little K&N's meant for some sort of snowmobile or something, but I had almost no clearance, and that was all I could find that fit. She's been at HAN and various local shows, but isn't much of a show car really. I did it all myself, so the paint, interior, etc. leave some to be desired. I am in the process of suicide doors, shaved handles, power windows, remote control for the windows/doors, etc. Next year (hopefully) it gets a T-5 or AOD to replace the 2-speed auto it has now, and air suspension is on the long term list.
fordengines.JPG

My truck. Nothing special. mild 390, T-18, 3.10's, I-beams from a 79 (front discs), mid 80's F-250 master/booster. The torque of the big block is sweet. I dropped to 3.10 from 3.50 to drop my highway rpms, and haven't noticed a difference in acceleration. Faster than it looks, and definitely faster than I am comfortable going in a 40 year old truck. I had this at HAN last year, and it didn't look that out of place - not bad for a $200 truck. Probably the only rig there that took a load of trash to the dump the day after the show.
PICKUP2S.JPG

truckengines.JPG

All but the old Subaru and Buick are licensed and insured. Insuring six cars sucks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zebaru

Who knows... They were on the FTP site, but maybe that has gone away? I can dig them up, and put them in the gallery if anyone is still interested.

I have some much better pics of the '59 from HAN last year...

Travis