Hound Build 2014 JKU

Shinobi

Staff member
Lets make build threads great again !

Going to be doing a 1ton swap here soon figured Id do a build thread to document it.
1ton plans are:
2004 f350 axles
5.38 gears
front Eaton locker
rear Factory sterling elocker (2011-2019)
Artec swap kits
3-link rear
3 or 4 link front

Been building this slowly, owned her since she was new in 2014. Orginally wife's jeep turned into my jeep.
Current vehicle mods are the usual typical stuff.
Rubicon swap front 5.13s and rear with auburn locker chromos 5.13s, vks sliders, smitybilt bumpers and 38 patagonias.
20200821_183542.jpg
20200627_183823.jpg20200613_181341.jpg

Last edited:

Shinobi

Staff member
I have recently aquired some axles from a 2004 f350.
20201120_165505.jpg
Started stripping the axles and trimming the casting. The plasma cutter made quick work of this.
20201129_163135.jpg
20201129_162443.jpg

Trimming the casting wasn't as bad as I thought it would.
20201206_172743.jpg
20201206_175033.jpg
20201206_181105.jpg

RARECJ8

Premium Member
subscribed. whats with the old truck in the shop? you have to do all ur work outside? Outrage! :)

Shinobi

Staff member
subscribed. whats with the old truck in the shop? you have to do all ur work outside? Outrage! :)
Thats the wife's 1959 F100 just added electric power steering on it, just got to put it back together!

I'm doing most of the grinding prepwork out side so I don't dust up the garage. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DirtyChemist

Hoe. Lee. SHIT. Dude I use to love seeing photos of your grand Cherokee on here. Never thought you’d come back. Looking forward to watching this

edit: are you going to stretch the front axle forward any? I have the same truss for a non-super duty 60 so I’m wondering how much back Artec moved the coil spring perches.

Last edited:

Shinobi

Staff member
Hoe. Lee. SHIT. Dude I use to love seeing photos of your grand Cherokee on here. Never thought you’d come back. Looking forward to watching this

edit: are you going to stretch the front axle forward any? I have the same truss for a non-super duty 60 so I’m wondering how much back Artec moved the coil spring perches.
Ya I have been lurking for awhile, just need to post more !

I am not going to strech the front axle any, going to stretch the rear a little to accommodate the off set of the sterling.

Also did some work on the front, welded the center section to the tube, then tacked some of the brackets on to set the caster.

Last edited:

DirtyChemist

Is 6 degrees factory for the Ford or the Jeep?

NICE welds. Did you have to preheat the cast and what welder are you using? Looks like you were able to make that whole weld with maybe one restart.

Shinobi

Staff member
Is 6 degrees factory for the Ford or the Jeep?

NICE welds. Did you have to preheat the cast and what welder are you using? Looks like you were able to make that whole weld with maybe one restart.
For a stock jk its 4 degrees. Figured 6 would be a good start, I'll be able to adjust more or less with the links.

Thanks, yes I did pre heat to about 400 ish and post heat then wrapped it.

Shinobi

Staff member
Did some redneck shit today, chopped the sterling short side to match the long side. Got a DOM sleeve for the out side of the axle. Made an axle tube press to press in the axle sleeve. This is to help move the pinion away from the gas tank. Overall I think it worked out pretty good, wish I had a true bar to check how straight it is but this will do.
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5fefe9fd25827/VID_81570320_032244_319.mp4

DirtyChemist

Aired Down on Youtube made himself a 3D printed insert to measure the straightness of his super duty axle. He might be able to make you one and he lives in town. I think his name is Daniel, but not sure. Essentially it’s a 3D printed insert that go on the inner and outer ends of your axle tube, and you run string through it to check where it needs to be straightened.

Shinobi

Staff member
Aired Down on Youtube made himself a 3D printed insert to measure the straightness of his super duty axle. He might be able to make you one and he lives in town. I think his name is Daniel, but not sure. Essentially it’s a 3D printed insert that go on the inner and outer ends of your axle tube, and you run string through it to check where it needs to be straightened.
I did see that a while ago, might have to give this a try !

Shinobi

Staff member
Did alot of welding this weekend. Got some good practice with the TIG. Front axle is about 80% welded just waiting for the cast iron welding wire to come in. Took my sweet ass time to weld the sleeve on the sterling, did the root weld with the tig and covered it with MIG.