Hound Build 2014 JKU

Shinobi

Staff member
Nothing too exciting. Just practicing on some TIG and cutting and measure all the rear brackets, with the added length everything needs to shift over 1.25" so had to cut part of the truss.

d1d1c9cb0e4644306fb7b3f9909d2418.jpg
bea9daadf053f43d3950e4acac6b6385.jpg
438b0842c46c71a3bc9c8e3a8b3ded7b.jpg
4360a1672adc7f296508fc65367b9440.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Did you change your weld halfway through that cover pass?

As my tmcc welding class chalkboard says....your welds need to be more consistent. Lol. I can’t even rig or technically trust myself to mig yet. Can’t wait to get to that part of class and burn my truss in.

Shinobi

Staff member
I was attempting a weave with the TIG, didn't go so well needed more filler and less undercut.

I took the welding classes at tmcc. Scott's a great teacher, not sure if he's there any more its been a decade. Thats where I really learned how to weld and its fundamentals. Remember real men weld with 6010.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Oh he is there. I agree he is a great teacher, and wants you to succeed. He makes welding look and seem easy though.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
oh yeah, what are your plans for a drive shaft and who are you going to get it from? Apparently those are needed after an axle swap.

solja4jc

Premium Member
I was attempting a weave with the TIG, didn't go so well needed more filler and less undercut.

I took the welding classes at tmcc. Scott's a great teacher, not sure if he's there any more its been a decade. Thats where I really learned how to weld and its fundamentals. Remember real men weld with 6010.

You mean 7010 (Hippie Rod) and 7018.... lol

Also if you are not in a hurry and not in a compromising position, a foot pedal is your best friend while GTAW.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Nothing too exciting. Just practicing on some TIG and cutting and measure all the rear brackets, with the added length everything needs to shift over 1.25" so had to cut part of the truss.

d1d1c9cb0e4644306fb7b3f9909d2418.jpg
bea9daadf053f43d3950e4acac6b6385.jpg
438b0842c46c71a3bc9c8e3a8b3ded7b.jpg
4360a1672adc7f296508fc65367b9440.jpg

That’s a super huge corner to corner weld. It looks like you were super hot and you couldn’t add enough filler fast enough. I would have used my 400 amp torch with a 5/32 tungsten and modulated my heat input and also have done that run in 3 increments with a 20 minute cool in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shinobi

Staff member
1350 U joints front and rear? 2" 0.250 wall tube? It will apparently be $800 in drive shafts for this thing. I use to think running shoes were expensive.

Running shoes aren't expensive if you buy last years models haha ( always had to wait for the Hokas and Altras to go on sale)

Shinobi

Staff member
t’s a super huge corner to corner weld. It looks like you were super hot and you couldn’t add enough filler fast enough. I would have used my 400 amp torch with a 5/32 tungsten and modulated my heat input and also have done that run in 3 increments with a 20 minute cool in between.
20 min cool time ? Aight nobody got time for that ! jk. In hindsight I should of just used my MIG on this one with a few passes.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Yep, Jeep currently has one, that I tapped and Drilled. Not sure if I can still use the current ram due to the different throws but easly upgradable.

Limit the travel of your Ram to match the linear travel of your tie rod. This will alleviate undue stress that a ram traveling to its total travel while the steering box is at full lock.

Shinobi

Staff member
Limit the travel of your Ram to match the linear travel of your tie rod. This will alleviate undue stress that a ram traveling to its total travel while the steering box is at full lock.

Thanks Eric ! I will look into that, much cheaper than buying a new ram !

Shinobi

Staff member
Front axle is fully welded, now time to install gears and lockers ! but that will wait till I finish the 3 link on the YJ ..
20210221_184524.jpg

Also decided to give TIG a try on the casting of the sterling, with much better results ! Probably going to TIG casting from now on !
20210221_183422.jpg20210221_180448.jpg

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
High nickel content TIG rods?

Do the gears. It’s fun. By fun I mean really REALLY time consuming and worth paying $700/axle to have it done. Unless you like taking things apart to put them back together. Lol! But seriously, link the YJ after gears. Tons > YJ.