How Much $$$$ to get into it?

rusty_tlc

I figured out you could build a Rubicon rig for around $5K
$3000 for a pre 1985 Toyota truck, $500 for a SM420, another $200 for a used adaptor plate, $500 for a set of used 36" tires, and another $800 for lift, winch etc.

How much to build a bare bones racer?

JOE THE TOE

Gears,steering,lift kit or the right way(fab all new mounts & do custom leaf-springs or links.),rollcage,bumpers,brakeline's,driveline's,lockers,of coarse we can't forget about a good stereo system & rocklights!:no: :D

rusty_tlc

Guess I forgot a Lincoln locker rear and a Lockright front, still under $5K.

But I was asking how much to get into a Desert Racer?

Baja or Bust

What do you really want to do with it? If you run a stock class all you really need is a cage and fuel cell and 5-point seat belts.

rusty_tlc

Baja or Bust said:
What do you really want to do with it? If you run a stock class all you really need is a cage and fuel cell and 5-point seat belts.
I'm just wondering about the sport, I'm not really interested in participating at this point. (I still have a 75% complet trail rig to finish.)
The $5K setup I described would do the Rubicon without having to take every bypass. What would it take to get a bare bones competitive Deseret Racer? Skill aside.

JOE THE TOE

If you want to run desert all you need is mad driv'in skills like us HARD-CORE folk,go get yourself a (BLING'IN AZZ PICK-N-PULL RIG) then give me a call & I'll show you how to drive it!!:fro: :D ;)

Samco Fab

You would probably start out with a Jeepspeed, stock class pickup or mabye a class 9 or 11 car if you wanted a competitive entry level racecar for "cheap"

Take a Jeepspeed, You would have $1800 in shocks, mabye $1200 for a decent "liftkit", $2000 for a good DOM cage tied to a few chassis points, another $1000 for misc shock mounts and general fab stuff, they dont say anything about a fuel cell, but I would run one $500, seats $500, belts $200, wheels and tires$1800, the list could go on and on. There are also many variables like if you do a lot of the work yourself or if you pay a shop, or do you find a screamin deal on a set of good shocks. You would probably spend from $7000 to $14000 on a Jeepspeed if you paied someone to build one.
A stock class vehicle might be a little cheaper, hard to say.
You also cant compare a trail vehicle to a competition vehicle. How much does it take to build a competitive "stock class" rockcrawler? I would guess at least $15000, unless you did the work yourself, used ..etc etc...

If you build a Prerunner Toyota pickup or a Rockcrawler Wrangler, the initial purchase cost, price of rollcage, locker, suspension, gears etc., it all has about the same cost, untill you build a comp rig or a super high dollar toy. Just depends on what you want to do. I'm screwed cause I want to do both:(

rusty_tlc

So you could get into the sport for $7000 if you did a lot of the work yourself?
Or is it not stuff you can do in a home garage?

DBXJ

hmm i was talkin to a guy last week about jeep speed he built his rig for i think it was 3k or somthing like that but its in the stock class.

Samco Fab

Hmm, If you did the work yourself, scrounged good used parts, and cut a couple of minor corners, you could build a racer for (like DBXJ said) $3000 or so, hard to exactly say though.

Samco Fab

rusty_tlc said:
What would be a good rig to start with? Toy truck?

For a prerunner, a 90s Rangers are awesome, any F150, late 80s to all 90s Toyota pickups. These trucks are like TJs, they have tons of bolt on long travel kits. Look at companies like Camburg, Autofab, Total Chaos, H&M, and a bunch of others. The good kits are fairly big $$, but you pay for good rebuildable, tunable shocks like Kings, Fox or SAW. Shocks are the key to a good high speed vehicle. You need to be able to tune them to your application.

rusty_tlc

samco fab said:
For a prerunner, a 90s Rangers are awesome, any F150, late 80s to all 90s Toyota pickups. These trucks are like TJs, they have tons of bolt on long travel kits. Look at companies like Camburg, Autofab, Total Chaos, H&M, and a bunch of others. The good kits are fairly big $$, but you pay for good rebuildable, tunable shocks like Kings, Fox or SAW. Shocks are the key to a good high speed vehicle. You need to be able to tune them to your application.
I would assume stock gearing works okay? What about steering?