How to get around smog testing???

nooch13

I have a question for you guys. I am new to the area (Reno)and not used to this smog testing stuff. Is there any way around it? I have a vehicle in mind to buy, but I doubt it would pass smog. Any ideas???

Bryan

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
nooch13 said:
I have a question for you guys. I am new to the area (Reno)and not used to this smog testing stuff. Is there any way around it? I have a vehicle in mind to buy, but I doubt it would pass smog. Any ideas???

Bryan

there's no legal way around it. only the following are exempt:
Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from emission testing:

* New motor vehicles on their first and second registration;
* 1967 or older;
* Motorcycle or moped;
* Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (call us if you are not sure whether a check is required in your area);
* Alternative fuel vehicles;
* Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or greater;
* Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer;
* Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife;
* Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle;
* Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod or Classic Vehicle and driven 2,500 miles or less per year.

kairo

Staff member
Though I don't condone attempting to make vehicles pass inspection when they clearly shouldent, another option is to have the vehicle registered in another country where the smog requirement isnt necessary

nooch13

wow, thanks for the info. How hard is the testing? Would a truck with an aftermarket cam carb and headers make it? (I doubt it) I know reno has to test, but what about sparks and cold spring and those areas? I know some people up there who woul dmost likely let me use their address.

kairo

Staff member
The vehicle has to have all factory emissions equipment present and "working" on the vehicle. After that, it's simply a matter of passing the different chemical levels

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
nooch13 said:
wow, thanks for the info. How hard is the testing? Would a truck with an aftermarket cam carb and headers make it? (I doubt it) I know reno has to test, but what about sparks and cold spring and those areas? I know some people up there who woul dmost likely let me use their address.

* Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (call us if you are not sure whether a check is required in your area);
Call this number and ask, that's what they have the phone number for: (775) 684-3580

Nevada requires used car dealers to issue a valid emissions test, when required, on any vehicle they sell. In private transactions, the test is the buyer's responsibility. In CA, smog test is always a Seller's responsibility.

rusty_tlc

nooch13 said:
Smog testing is by county, as was already mentioned there are exceptions for remote areas of Clark and Washoe.

You could always ask the seller to provide a smog cert as a condition of sale.
If that won't fly I'd suggest taking the beast into a shop before buying it and asking them to give it a look over. In addition to the general road worthyness of the vehicle, let them know you are worried about passing smog. They will probably charge around a half hour of shop time, say $35.

MR.ROCKAPE

What year?If it is 1980 or older all it has to do is have a gas cap and pass at the tail pipe.Now 1981 and newer has to appear to have all the emissions equipment hooked up and appear operational(there is not a function test in nevada)The tail pipe standards changes from year to year(older are allowed to put out more emissions)If you have any specific Questions let me know I until very recently was a 1G and 2G smog certified Tech.Now I am a full time rock PIMP.

Zebaru

Intersting note - one of the exempt areas in Washoe County is Incline Village.

AFAIK, nowhere in the North valleys is exempt.

Travis

nooch13

Dead,

I wish I did at this point! I am dying for a rig, but can not find anything suitable. It does not need to be a DD, but I do need to drive it to the trails. Then there is the budget! Man stuff is almost twice the price out here.

rusty_tlc

nooch13 said:
Dead,

I wish I did at this point! I am dying for a rig, but can not find anything suitable. It does not need to be a DD, but I do need to drive it to the trails. Then there is the budget! Man stuff is almost twice the price out here.
I saw an 85 toyota truck for $2K in the paper the other day. They make great crawlers, cheap to build to since there are so many parts suppliers competing.
Factory SOA, so a little suspension lift and bigger tires will get you a lot of places.

What kind of rig would make you happy and how much do you have to spend?