How to remove hatch shocks from hatch

kairo

Staff member
I'm changing my hatch around today (finally) and have been having problems getting the shock off of the hatch. I want to use my old shocks on the new door. Do you need a puller? I don't want to break anythin by just yanking them off

kairo

Staff member
holy crap this sucks. . . don't ever change a hatch unless you absolutely have to.

Sauce

did you get er done? you should be able to just pull them off, LMK if you need some help, of you could just drive around without a hatch :D

NevadaXJ

Sounds like you figured it out. I replaced my shocks, and they just had little clips I had to remove, then just a firm tug released the shocks.

i did find out that a hatch without shocks is EXTREMELY heavy, even on the hinges, so I bet you had a ton of fun....

kairo

Staff member
what......a.......nightmare!

I dont even know where to begin. . . I figured out the shocks right after I posted here. That proved to be the easiest part of the whole ordeal.

As all jeepers know, TORX SUCKS! I stripped all 4 of them on the hatch, and stripped one inside the lock mechanism. This required a complete swap of the entire lock mechanism rather than just the lock cylinder which I had planned to do. The project took like 7 hours mostly because I had to keep swearing at the torx bolts and trying to work them off with vice-grips. I don't even want to talk about the wiring. I was hoping against hope that they two hatches would just plug and play with eachother....hahaha, no, that would have been easy. Two hours down the drain trying to figure out which of the 16 wires connected with the other 16. I ended up using 4 total and I got everything to work :confused:

At least it's done. And the hatch actually closes solidly again.

kairo

Staff member
NevadaXJ said:
i did find out that a hatch without shocks is EXTREMELY heavy, even on the hinges, so I bet you had a ton of fun....

yah, thank god my brother was around, or I never would have been able to do it. The hatch weights around 80-90 lbs. Getting it off and on was incredibly difficult

xjmoser

That sounds like everyday for me at work :eek:

Most of the shit out there is over engineered and I think they get a bonus for it.