Hunter Lake Fun Run 10/8

RARECJ8

The Hills Angels are running Hunter Lake Trail October 8, 2005-- we'll clean up as we go (it actually looks pretty clean as of last w/e) and likely BBQ at either the 'lake' itself or over at big meadows by the log dam. Just past the log dam, there is a marshy area the USFS has asked to have blocked. We'll be chainsawing some trees and dragging them into position to block off the fragile areas and to re-route the trail around it. All volunteers welcome.

The fall colors will be very strong, so kodak moments await.

Afterward, we'll likely descend via Bronco Creek (not bronco canyon-- thats over in storey county) and pop out on I80 near Floriston by the big log home. From there some will head over to dog valley for a camp out.

All folks on list are welcome, so if u have time, c'mon along for a fun day ride.HLT was ran last week in a bone stock Nissan Pathfinder, so you stockers fear not--no mud or snow--yet!

We'll meet Scolari's at Caughlin Ranch like 8:30 i believe, so be there or not, and roll by 8:45.

CB ch. 16

mb

kairo

Staff member
sounds like fun. For those who may not be familiar with HL, could you post a difficulty analysis?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
kairo said:
sounds like fun. For those who may not be familiar with HL, could you post a difficulty analysis?

I could drive my car through before I dropped it 1.5". :eek:

rusty_tlc

What about LWB rigs? I have been told there are a few spots that would be tough with a full size LB extended cab PU. Any truth to that?

kairo

Staff member
72 Virginians said:
Must be nice to be off on saturdays. :chairhit: Any planned runs for Sunday or Mondays?

whenever you feel like going, post up. People can usually swing some of those runs. I'm free sundays and mondays most of the time

72 Virginians

Staff member
kairo said:
whenever you feel like going, post up. People can usually swing some of those runs. I'm free sundays and mondays most of the time

Cool. I'll probably post up in the next few weeks. I've been waiting on some parts to come in and hopefully, I'll have those on within the next few weekends.

Mallford

I actually think my rig will be done for a run like this. Be nice to put the trail Scout through the paces on something tame.
This weekend the beadlocks are getting re-sealed (again) and going for the lincoln locker in the rear. I have gone through some of the trail awhile back with my TJ but there was ALOT of snow when I was up there last.

Not sure if anyone has checked it out but you can follow the trails with Google Earth really well, just thought it was a cool tool for us peeps that can't afford GPS stuff.

Connect

Well a lwb rig could make it through, with some nice scratches from bushes, easily done by a 1wd jeep, I think 2wd is an option for sure. the exit from the lake (you'll laugh when you see the "lake") has some tighter tree squeezes, probably done carefully enough it should be fine.

A barbeque sounds great, but man A part of me wishes it would rain like a biat** so we can get some muddy hillclimbs and trails.

10/8 should be good for me

RARECJ8

kairo said:

when the trail is free from snow/mud, its generally easily passable. Trere are one or two steep/off camber sections, but nothing really difficult. There is one section w/ gome good cracks/gully running down the middle, but not hard. heck, as posted above, a 100% newbie lady driver in a pathfinder did just fine last saturday.

on a scale of 1-5, current conditions place the trail at 2.5, max. There are a couple places to play on some big rocks, etc, but the main trail is easily passable.

mb

Connect

Still no rain in the forecast :( Darn. Someone bring a water tanker so we can wet down the hill climb and have some fun

did anyone notice that hunter lake actually looks like a lake on google earth?? When we we're there a couple months ago I could swear it wasn't 10 feet long in any direction.

Last edited:

xjmoser

I cant head up there until 10:00am so is there anyone who wants to start later? We will probly catch everyone else at the top.

kairo

Staff member
well hell, guess I'm in. I havent seen Tom in so long it makes me sad. I'll go with ya at 10 am. connect too, if thats when you're rollin out

Connect

If anyone else want's to come with me and Tom you are more then welcome to, get a few hours extra sleep :) Besides we'll practically catch up to them, I plan to be hauling going up.