hunter lake

PizzaJeep

i totally agree.. im itching for my first trip up there this season... the moment the damn snow is melted enough to actually GET ANYWHERE... im there... and i hope everyone else is there too... we need to have someone who lives in the caulighn ranch area go check it out every once in a while to tell us when its a go!

dye_dan

I'm in too. Hopefully it's on a weekend I'm in town. I haven't been very lucky yet!

What's the elevation? Still too much snow to do a lot of it?

Scrub

well i was up there about 2 weeks ago and there was still alot of snow as soon as you start heading up the hill (if you follow the road all the was south and then start heading up that is) i was by myself and decided to turn around....i might head up there this weekend and check it out again...

blazrguy

i take the caughlin route cuz theres good wheelin on the way ive never been the other way i dont know which is shorter like it matters keep us informed if you can! :)

Connect

Is it that caughlin ranch road thats got development on it and at the end its a dirt turn around with a trail through the bushes?

The snow doesn't look bad on verdi peak i think its about 7k ft elevation

Scrub

yea if you are heading south on west mccarren turn right at cashill/caughlin blvd and then left at village green and follow that around and make a left on some street and then follow that to the end there there is a turn around and there is a little hill off to the right, go up that hill and offroad :)

Connect

My aunt lives in caughlin ranch and i know of this road that has gates and signs (gates are always open) goes down and there is a spot in the turn around that has a trail that leads straight to the mountains, i only went down it about 300 ft but it was dry and hard, really rocky so i turned around. I might go for it today until i find mud at which point ill turn around.

Unfortunatly i dont know village green, but i think the road is like Woodchuck?????

RARECJ8

left on village green, then left again on pine haven road. go till it ends, go over the berm and ur there...

mb

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
Hunter Lake Trip..Success!!!

I think this is it.........

Went Up on 3/1/05, mostly dry road with a few streams running through. The second area behind the lake had some nice deep mudbogs to play in. The area aroung the lake was littered with broken bottles and shell casings.

I would like to go up again in the next week, let me know if any of you are interested. I would post the pics, but am not allowed yet to post attachments.

RARECJ8

just west and up hill from the access portal at the end of pine haven road is a small lake, in the alum creek drainage. this is known as 'moss lake' or 'mosses lake' and is a favorite high school kegger party pit. hunter lake itself is several miles further west on the hunter lake road-- going west up alum creek road will eventually peter out on a high volcanic ridge overlooking hunter creek canyon. the litter at moss lake is a shame-- maybe someday a clean-up can be organized, but since its on private lands, the owners may or may not like that...
mb

Connect

If a stock rig can make it let me now what your doing this weekend? Probably a little bit muddier this time around since its supposed to rain/snow a little bit.

RARECJ8

i will hazard an experienced guess and say u cannot make it to hunter lake itself...yet. We did a clean up on back side of Peavine Saturday and even at that low elevation, we had to winch over several large drifts-- thanks to dan dye for the help! So, i'd bet u could get to like dutch louie flat or the switch back in the aspen trees, but not over the divide to hunter lake, which is west over the ridge seen from the reno area. another month should be close-- altho we've gone thru there late may and still had to deal w/ huge drifts blocking the trail-- sometimes obliterating it all together. have time this sunday if u want to go take a peek.

mb

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
Hunter Lake Part 2

Looks like I was confused...LOL. So it was moss lake I made it to then. It was still a fun ride, but the trail that leads south had a major stream that eroded the trail - blocked access any further (out by the backside of windy hill).

So the question now is I need real directions to Hunter Lake. I went to the top of Caughlin Ranch , and both entrances utimately led to Moss Lake if I headed west. I have been on the satellite map terraserver.com, but cannot find any of the roads to Moss Lake going any further west than the creek area. I went to the forest service office and the BLM office, but they do not have maps of those trails up there, so I am stuck. About ready to get a GPS unit.

If you are planning a trip up there Sunday, I am game for that. I need to leave before 4:00 for work (work swingshift).

Should I use the 93 Grand Cherokee, or the 90 Cherokee? Both are stock. When I went up to Moss Lake seemed like the 93 was having problems with the transfer case, no resistance in 1st gear going down hills in 4 low.

RenoRacing

I'd love to join in and make it up to the lake itself. I took the dogs running/swimming up that way last weekend and it was considerably drier than the last time I was up there. I kept heading up past/west of moss lake/pond and went till it basically dead ended or got to a atv/motorcycle trail only up through the trees(about a mile up maybe) and there was only a few little snow patches in the shade about 20' across and a few inches deep.

There wasn't any of this nonsense this time so that's a start....

3-12_101.jpg

Scrub

i'd like to go up there again its been about a month and a half since ive been up there, so i would like to go again.