I can't weld.

Weld Question

• Do the best I can then have a shop fix it when I get back running.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rusty_tlc

Aftrer spending most of Saturday afternoon welding and grinding off the attempts I'm convinced I stink at welding. And least laying down and welding over my head.

When I added the Toy box to my drive train I had to cut out and re-locate the factory crossmember. I am also adding an Advanced Adaptors T-case support.

To make a mounting point for the re-located cross member and new t-case support I'm welding a scab plate to the inside of the frame. Actually boxing in a section of frame. The plan was to tack the scab plates/support mounts/crossmember in place, drop the drive train back out, and finish welding everything up. My tack welds looked so iffy I decided to grind them off and start again.

It looks like I'm getting good penetration, but the welds look like snot. Forget about a straight line.

So what should I do?

Sauce

When I first read the title to this thread, I thought, neither can PJ, but it never stopped him ;) On the real though, if its strong and you are sure you have good penetration, then I just say screw it. If you want them to look purty, then grind them down. If you are not 100% confident in your welding, then take it to someone after you finish it and have them go over your welds. There are plenty of people on here that would help out for a case of beer or a little money (throttleboy, rockape, deadandcompany, etc.) I thought you lived in carson, if you do, just take it down to smash and he will weld them up for you on da cheap :D

Last edited:

PizzaJeep

well the worst thing you could do is come here looking for advice on welding... i mean come on... look at tardcore 4... and my suspension... i suck so bad my crap falls off the jeep on the freeway on practically an everyday basis

MR.ROCKAPE

PizzaJeep said:
well the worst thing you could do is come here looking for advice on welding... i mean come on... look at tardcore 4... and my suspension... i suck so bad my crap falls off the jeep on the freeway on practically an everyday basis
You said it!! :fro: Engineering
The best advice I can give on welding is position your self so you can see the weld puddle(not always possible though).And listen,if it doesnt sound like bacon sizzling than possibly your machine settings arent right.And practice,usually overhead welding with a mig you slow down the wire speed a little.And you are pushing the mig gun not dragging it right???If you are dragging it you might not be getting the penetration you should be.

xjmoser

rockape said:
usually overhead welding with a mig you slow down the wire speed a little..

Is it overhead or upside down welding?

I have better luck speeding up the wire speed. But thats just me