In memory of Darin YJ Build thread

Shinobi

Staff member
Next Project ... budget hydro assist. So far I only have $150 on the ram , hose and fittings $30 on the cooler so $180 total. I will be rebuilding and tapping a 1998 zj steering box that I got for free and keep my durango one as back up.

Here is the Saginaw box torn apart .. I want to get the box it self hot tanked tomorrow to clean all the dirt and grease that piled up on it. Hopefully I will remember how it all goes back together haha but I must say much easier than taking apart a laptop.

Shinobi

Staff member
Just finished the hydro assist ... it works perfect ! I now have more control on and off pavement.
Here are some pics

Drilled and tapped .. this part was tricky to get all the shavings out of the port.

box rebuilt and ready for install.

Welded up some ram mounts

I also added some gusset just incase the bracket tries to twist on me.

Rizzo

Tight clearances, but very nice!!!

Are the new seats to replace factory stock ones? After only 20 years, they fell apart?

Shinobi

Staff member
Tight clearances, but very nice!!!

Are the new seats to replace factory stock ones? After only 20 years, they fell apart?

no I replaced the stocks long time again , I just replaced the old suspension seats because of the our dogs fur likes to get all over and it was PITA to clean.

Shinobi

Staff member
Also finally installed my winch I got from 4wheel part's grand opening and finished up the bumper.
20130428_195533_zpsbc3c9fcc.jpg

Rizzo

no I replaced the stocks long time again , I just replaced the old suspension seats because of the our dogs fur likes to get all over and it was PITA to clean.

Leather is much easier to clean than cloth, that's for sure - especially dog hair.

Also finally installed my winch I got from 4wheel part's grand opening and finished up the bumper.
20130428_195533_zpsbc3c9fcc.jpg

I cannot believe you've had that YJ setup like it is for this long w/o a winch!!!!!

Shinobi

Staff member
After my recent scare of almost rolling over I decided it was time to beef up the rear cage..
562561_4910794888628_2056718463_n.jpg

Been working on it when I got the chance this past couple weeks finally got it all welded in. I will be adding more gussets and tying it to the frame later.

Shinobi

Staff member
A couple videos from tonka today
[YOUTUBE]X9ZunBpy4bk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]mEBcPQm9EfA[/YOUTUBE]

CashMoney

I piss excellence.

use an old bed sheet or towel on the seats for the dogs! I do it works great.

Shinobi

Staff member
Decided to build a Square driveshaft, since I keep popping my drive shaft out and I can't lengthen it any more ...I picked up some 2.5x.25 wall receiver tube and 2x.25 wall square tubing for the slip after some measurements I got 9" in and 15" out . I had some yokes laying around so that saved me some money but total spent was around 60 bucks for a extreme slip driveshaft :D

Fully compressed

Fully extended

Drove it around in 4wd and only noticed some vibs around 50 mph not to shabby :D