Jeep owners, a quick survey if you dont mind

kairo

Staff member
I'm writing a profile of the Jeep Wrangler for my english 321 class, and I'd like some information from y'all. Doesn't matter what type of jeep you own, as long as it's a jeep.

Why did you decide to buy a jeep?

Is your jeep modified?

Would you consider it modified a little, a moderate amount, or alot?

What does the word "Jeep" mean to you

Chrysler claims that the Jeep is the most off-road ready vehicle availiable out of the box. Do you agree?

Have people ever failed to understand your reasoning for owning a jeep?

Given the chance, would you purchase another Jeep in the future?

stv in bfe

kairo said:
I'm writing a profile of the Jeep Wrangler for my english 321 class, and I'd like some information from y'all. Doesn't matter what type of jeep you own, as long as it's a jeep.

Is your jeep modified?

Chrysler claims that the Jeep is the most off-road ready vehicle availiable out of the box. Do you agree?

bought a jeep cuz they're fun
yes its modified,
compared to others its modified very little
jeep means that little pet on popeye
"out of the box", they're great for huntin and dirt roads
people always ask when i'm gettin a real vehicle
definitely "aquire" another jeep:yes:

Connect

stv in bfe said:
bought a jeep cuz they're fun
yes its modified,
compared to others its modified very little
jeep means that little pet on popeye
"out of the box", they're great for huntin and dirt roads
people always ask when i'm gettin a real vehicle
definitely "aquire" another jeep:yes:

I bought a jeep with intention to modify it into a sick unique trail rig.
Yes it's modified
Considering I did all the work myself I'd say moderatly, but others would say very litte.
Jeep means Jeep, the classic american off-road SUV
The rubicon being the most capable, all others are capable.
One person, My grandpa. He can't see the reason to go scratch and damage a perfectly good vehicle that is supposed to be used for transportation.
Yes I would, if I had my choice of a new jeep it would be a rubicon unlimited :)

Rafterman

kairo said:

Why did you decide to buy a jeep?Jeep CJ,YJ, TJ and the like are all like blank canvases. easy to modify, very capable out of the box
Is your jeep modified? Yes

Would you consider it modified a little, a moderate amount, or alot? I would consider it med/hi modification

What does the word "Jeep" mean to you. Jeep to me stands for a short wheel base off road vehicleIE CJ, YJ, TJ, Pathfinder, suzuki

Chrysler claims that the Jeep is the most off-road ready vehicle availiable out of the box. Do you agree? No there are many off road ready out of the box vehicles IE Rover,samari,

Have people ever failed to understand your reasoning for owning a jeep? Yes

I am currently looking to purchase a Rubicon or Pathfinder

RARECJ8

I've owned Jeeps since 1981; there was no decision other than the 'i want a flatfender willys' and thats what i did.

Is your jeep modified?
Yes, altuho 'modified' can be misleading. Motor performance, suspension, audio, etc. are all modifications.

Highly 'restified', thats part modification and restored.

Just Everyone Else's Parts
Just Empty Every Pocket
Justify Every Expense Possible

Sorry, no. Jeeps require the 'modofication' to be truely trail capable. Me thinks Toyotas are more qualified out of the box for general, all round wheeling. For hard core trails, then Jeep wins w/ the Rubicon package.

No, altho my family wonder why i drive a 1981 Jeep, not a new model. Guess they don't 'understand'...

Given the chance, would you purchase another Jeep in the future?[/QUOTE]

Yes

Good luck on ur paper.
I don't miss College.

mb
UNR '86

kairo

Staff member
thanks guys. All of you made it into the paper in some form for the first draft. Anyone else wishing to fill out the survey (wrangler owners encouraged) please do

72 Virginians

Staff member
Growing up, my family owned Jeeps and VW's. Pops used to drive a CJ-3B to work back when he was in the mines. After that, he had a few CJ-7's and a 79 Cherokee. A few years ago, I was looking for another vehicle and wanted something that could take me on trails around here. After six months, I found an XJ in VA when I was visiting my folks.
Is it modified? Somewhat but, there's a lot of parts laying around in my garage that needs to be installed. I've been wheeling stock for the better part of five years and look forward to seeing what is possible with modification.

Styx

my fiance wanted one:D so we bought a '86 with a V6 from a dealer down town without knowing anything about them. He saw us coming a mile away, but it lasted long enough to wheel some trails on peavine and back behind Lemon Valley before dying. By that time I was hooked.

My current XJ has a thrown together lift of about 4.5," trimmed front fenders, and a custom front bumper. I just bought it. I think it's modfied moderately, but I have to "fix" most of the modifications to my liking.

Jeep means I don't have to explain why my vehicle looks like...that.

Limited experience says I should keep my mouth closed. Right now, the Rubi probably is the most trail ready, but the power wagon could be close, maybe just different classes. I think they should give me one of each for a week or two so I can decide:D

Yes, one of my wife's friends, but I really don't care what she thinks so..:blahblah:

Yes, I will be buying another jeep in a couple of years.

NevadaXJ

kairo said:
I wanted a capable 4x4 vehicle with usable space, and a good reliability track record.
Is your jeep modified?
Yes
Just a little.
Been around a long time, proven performance in just about every major war. Jeep to me means 4x4
Yes. I was amazed at the stock capabilities of my Cherokee.
All the time.
Undoubtably.

Zebaru

In case you still need some input:

1. Becasue my Subaru died and I needed something a little heavier duty (but still cheap) to replace it. (cheap was key)
2. Yes
3. I would consider it a little, maybe moderately.
4. Honestly just another auto brand
5. Possibly. The Rubicon models have a legitimate claim...
6. Probably, but I think the understanding is more of what I do with it, not the fact that it is a Jeep (i.e. the misunderstanding would apply to any off road oriented vehicle).
7. Given the chance? I have the 'chance' every day. Will I likely purchase another? Maybe, when I finally destroy the one I have.

You going to share that paper with the rest of us? I want to see what this was really all about. Maybe you could even get some worthwhile feedback before you have to turn it in?

Travis

tomdean

kairo said:

Why did you decide to buy a jeep? I anted to go where my previous 'SUV's could not go.

Is your jeep modified? yes

Would you consider it modified a little, a moderate amount, or alot? a lot

What does the word "Jeep" mean to you the starting point for the ultimate offorad vehicls

Chrysler claims that the Jeep is the most off-road ready vehicle availiable out of the box. Do you agree? The rubicon, yes.

Have people ever failed to understand your reasoning for owning a jeep? yes, often

yes

kairo

Staff member
Ok, here's the paper so far. Keep in mind it is a VERY, VERY preliminary rough draft. I'll post the final edit as well in a few days.

Cars, trucks, and Vans. All modes of transportation, all designed to do different things. They can be made by any number of companies and all share similar characteristics across the board. When a new vehicle is needed, not much thought goes into it other than the questions: Car or truck? Color? Price. The average person will buy a car and never think twice about it. It?s simply a mode of transportation. It has no significance in either a historical or nostalgic context. There is one type of vehicle, however, which is etched into American culture like a firebrand. That vehicle is the Jeep? Wrangler.
No other vehicle enjoys the historical significance the Wrangler does. Since its conception in 1931, the basic style of the Wrangler (then called a MB or ?Willys?) has changed little. A military vehicle at heart, the early wrangler was, ?Up until 1981, the most used, reliable, and favorite vehicle of the armed forces?(Vanderploeg). The early Jeep? was spawned out of a government need for a general purpose vehicle that could be successfully implemented all over the world. That vehicle was required to be lightweight, equipped with a two speed transfer case and four wheel drive, and have a rectangular shaped body (Vanderploeg). Over sixty years later, the stout Jeep? Wrangler still lives true to those characteristics.
What has made the Jeep? so consistently popular? The go anywhere do anything attitude that the Wrangler possesses. People are able to identify with the characteristics found on Jeeps website describing the Wrangler. Words like performance, capability, adventure, and trail-rated. These words embody the American spirit to which we cling so dearly. The original Willys Jeep? was as rugged and dependable as the new Wrangler claims to be today. The old warhorse saw combat duties in Africa, Europe, Vietnam, Russia, and every theatre of combat during WWII (Foster 287). It has been described as the, ?the world's greatest fighting machine?(Foster 287). The tried and true style of the wrangler is a battle born concept so solid in its original design, that it still shares most of the characteristics which defined it through its war-time past.
The Wrangler also enjoys a cult like following. It would have to, to stay alive. Its body style is dated; the original design came from 1931! It has removable doors and a removable top. It?s too cold in the winter. It?s noisy, rides rough, and has the aerodynamics of a brick. Despite all of that, Wranglers remain immensely popular because they stick true to their heritage of a multipurpose off road vehicle. No other company claim ?Trail rated capability?, like Jeep? can. All new wrangler designs have had to make it in factory form over the Rubicon trail in California/Nevada. The most famous, and arguably the most difficult 4x4 trail in the entire world. The Wrangler makes a bold claim about it?s off road capability, and Jeep? proves it can back it up.
The Jeep? name embodies a certain type of people. A local area 4x4 group, Reno4x4 had the following things to say about why they own and love their Jeep? vehicles:
?Jeep means Jeep, the classic American off-road SUV??Connect.
?Jeep CJ,YJ, TJ and the like are all like blank canvases. easy to modify, very capable out of the box??Rafterman.
The Jeep also gets its share of ribbing from the enthusiasts.
?Just Everyone Else's Parts. Just Empty Every Pocket. Justify Every Expense Possible. ??RARECJ8
?people always ask when I?m getting? a real vehicle??stv in bfe.
(Area left blank to finish compiling forum results)
Many of these posters own their Wranglers or other Jeeps? so they can modify them true to their heritage. The Wrangler allows itself to become anything the driver wants through its simplistic design. There are hundreds of companies across the world that are dedicated solely to the off road modification of the Jeep? vehicle. Never will you see a Wrangler defiled in such a way that it sits with a lowered stance, 20? rims, and chromed out everything. These vehicles, when they do pop up become the laughing stock of the Jeep community. The Wrangler is designed to conquer trails, and the loyalists wouldn?t have it any other way. When you buy a Wrangler, you aren?t purchasing a comfy ride for your morning commute. When most cars have airbags, your Wrangler is conveniently equipped with a roll bar. When the rest of the city is trapped inside during a winter storm, you relish being the first one out in the virgin snow. In a world of vehicles which conform to their buyers, the Wrangler remains devoted to its design.
With so many vehicles to choose from, the Wrangler remains the niche for the 4x4 community. People who drive Wranglers are a different breed than the rest of the world. They define themselves through their vehicle, and that vehicle defines itself from its driver. When questioned why they continue to drive a noisy, uncomfortable, 15 mile-per-gallon money pit, the cold, beat up Jeeper will reply with a smile on his face, ?It?s a Jeep? thing, you wouldn?t understand!?

Rafterman

just an idea

You may want to include the family of the Wrangler:
the wave as you pass on the road.
When in my jeep I can stop a man and talk to him and he won't think a thing about it. If I try to stop some guy in my GMC 2500 he will lock the doors and drive faster. Other then the motorcycles I am not aware of another manufacture that has that with it's vehicles.

Sierra Valley

kairo said:

Is your jeep modified?

I have always wanted a jeep since the first time I went hunting in one and since my dad wouldnt let me wheel his anymore b/c I kept breaking his.
My Jeep is modified.
A moderate amount.
JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket
Possibly today, but in the early 80's toyota.
All the time.
Yes, but none of the new ones unless they come out w/ the retro prototype comanche I saw in a mag.

Sierra Valley

You know, it really is a Jeep thing. Rafterman is totally correct. When I was working in tahoe this summer, anywhere I went in my jeep other jeepers would 90% of the time wave to you, not to mention modified yotas and scouts. Its kind of like a cult. Everywhere I go, if I see a nice jeep I will just go up and talk to a person and they dont even care if we have ever met. Good stuff!!:woot:

rusty_tlc

Sierra Valley said:
You know, it really is a Jeep thing. Rafterman is totally correct. When I was working in tahoe this summer, anywhere I went in my jeep other jeepers would 90% of the time wave to you, not to mention modified yotas and scouts. Its kind of like a cult. Everywhere I go, if I see a nice jeep I will just go up and talk to a person and they dont even care if we have ever met. Good stuff!!:woot:
There are two type of Jeep Drivers, the ones that wave and give me a thumbs up when I'm in my Cruiser, and the ones that pretend they can't see me. The later type usually have exceptonialy clean rigs, a clean shave and a trophy wife/gf. The former usually have a lot of rock rash on their rigs. :yes:

True story.

Edit: There is a third type, the Jeep owners who think my Cruiser is some really old model of Jeep.:rolling: :rolling:

Sierra Valley

You are correct about the different types of drivers and your toy. But they treat me the same on the road. The guys w/ nice clean rigs dont wave.

I especially like the ones that think your rig is a heep.:D

Zebaru

Okay Nick, since you were man enough to post it up, I will see if I can give you some worthwhile constructive criticism. I know it is just a draft, but anyway- consider the following:

You completely underestimate (or at least underplay) the thought, research, etc... that goes into the average new car purchase. This plays into the bolstering of the Wrangler, but honsetly, do you believe that the average new car purchase is not thought twice about? Also, considering the 'nostalgia' trend in auto design in the last couple of years, how can you not beleive that there is no nostalgic context in the purchase of a 2005 Mustang, a PT cruiser, an SSR, a T-bird (maybe gone...), the 'new beetle', etc...

Etched like a firebrand? Maybe I am the only one who has never heard the saying, but if I am, let me say it makes no sense...

The historical significance of a Wrangler may be greater than most autos, but more than any other vehicle? Would you say it is more significant than the original Wright Brothers airplane?

"The original Willys Jeep? was as rugged and dependable as the new Wrangler claims to be today." Does this mean the new one is less dependable than it claims to be? If not, why compare what the old one was to what the new one claims instead of comparing what was to what is?

"The Wrangler makes a bold claim about it?s off road capability, and Jeep? proves it can back it up." I would think that this would be better if the claimwere being made by the company, and the vehicle was the one backing them up, not the other way around as stated here. The Wrangler never really makes any claims does it?

"With so many vehicles to choose from, the Wrangler remains the niche for the 4x4 community." This is some sort of run on sentence or something. Read through it and see if it really makes sense as written. I get the point, but it needs to be restructured...

"People who drive Wranglers are a different breed than the rest of the world." I guess it could be argued that the 'world' can refer simply to the people of the world, but this comparison is not really that great. Think about it and see if you see what I am talking about. (What 'breed' is the world exactly?) The effect would be the same (better?) if the statement was simply "People who drive Wranglers are a different breed." Or maybe even "Wrangler drivers are a different breed." - stating that it is people who drive Wranglers is really not necessary.

I'm not so sure that the mixing of generic Jeep references and Wrangler specific references works so well here. If the Wrangler is the point, maybe you should keep it at that instead of muddying the water with other Jeep vehicles. The original assertions about the uniqueness and significance of the Wrangler are not reinforced by references to anything other than a Wrangler. In my opinion, if many other Jeep vehicles and owners share these purported 'Wrangler specific' traits, it acutally undermines the claims to some degree.

Of course there are various typos, grammar problems etc, but it is just a draft, so those can be expected I guess. If you aren't vigilant, you will probalby miss the misuse of 'which' in place of 'that'. In most cases, 'which' should be preceeded by a comma or similar. If it is not, then 'that' is probalby the more appropriate word. Most people don't really care about the difference I guess, and you know what your Prof. cares about, but you might as well get the proper usage down now before it really matters.

Yes, I am sure there are a bunch of problems in my scribblings here as well - but hey, this isn't getting graded...

Travis

kairo

Staff member
New opening paragraph:

Pitched vertically against a rock, all four tires struggling for traction on the wet surface, the springs and joints straining and groaning in protest; a Jeep Wrangler valiantly struggles to ascend. For a long time the Jeep just skitters across the rock face. Finally a tread lug finds a weakness in the rock. Lockers engaged, the Jeep heaves itself forward with one tire, skid plates carrying the burden of the now sliding Jeep, saving the vital undercarriage as it peaks the obstacle and continues up the trail.