Jerry can restoration

Air Sierra

Staff member
Just one question...I can sell you brand new ones with the large opening that accepts the large metal lids and funnel..for $45.00 each

so how much of your time and money will it cost you to "refurbish" these ones??

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Just one question...I can sell you brand new ones with the large opening that accepts the large metal lids and funnel..for $45.00 each

so how much of your time and money will it cost you to "refurbish" these ones??

you make a very good point sir

Spence621

I guess I'm trying to save money on things that aren't too complicated. Like I'm paying for half of my sliders for christmas, So I'm saving money in other places. I think i just have to sand them, clean them and then oil based spray paint them. I don't think the interior is too essential, as long as they're stored properly. I also have to think about how they'll be mounted somewhere on the 4Runner... because 120 lbs of wieght is probably too much for the roof rack from a center of gravity stability standpoint.

MotoMatt

I guess I'm trying to save money on things that aren't too complicated. Like I'm paying for half of my sliders for christmas, So I'm saving money in other places. I think i just have to sand them, clean them and then oil based spray paint them. I don't think the interior is too essential, as long as they're stored properly. I also have to think about how they'll be mounted somewhere on the 4Runner... because 120 lbs of wieght is probably too much for the roof rack from a center of gravity stability standpoint.

so you are saying your going to store cans of gasoline inside your rig? have fun with that!

Spence621

yeah I should have specified haha, the interior of the cans*. I don't think I want to buy a whole new bumper with a swing away deal and all that. I have a hitch that doesn't fit a 4runner, but I could probably get someone to cut it and weld it to the frame. I wouldn't be hauling anything with it though, it would be for a hitch cargo basket. Maybe I could modify/add to an existing one to make it carry a spare too?

Spence621

Thanks, but I already have 3 haha. I know it's a pain to restore them, but it's something to do, right? I'm limited in what I can do to my truck (financially and parent consent-wise) so I take what I can get in terms of wheeling related fabrication/repair/refurbishment/modifcation.

BurbanHunter

Thanks, but I already have 3 haha. I know it's a pain to restore them, but it's something to do, right? I'm limited in what I can do to my truck (financially and parent consent-wise) so I take what I can get in terms of wheeling related fabrication/repair/refurbishment/modifcation.

In some situations it's far more rewarding to restore than replace. This "throw away" mentality folks have is crazy. What happened to that satisfaction of building something, or in this case, a rebuilding of sorts!? Restore them and take pride in your abilities! /rant off

no-idea

thats such a rip off, there 47 brand new from ace. air sierra said he has them for 45, so if your going to go that route spend the extra 5 bucks and get a new one.

but ya you got the right idea, fix up the ones you already got. how many gas cans are you planing on carrying? if its just one im sure you can find a place to slap on some metal to hold it. if you want to carry all 3 then you could deff make a mount out of an old hitch.

Last edited:

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
thats such a rip off, there 47 brand new from ace. air sierra said he has them for 45, so if your going to go that route spend the extra 5 bucks and get a new one.

but ya you got the right idea, fix up the ones you already got. how many gas cans are you planing on carrying? if its just one im sure you can find a place to slap on some metal to hold it. if you want to carry all 3 then you could deff make a mount out of an old hitch.

Reading (and math) fail

Two like new cans $40
Two new cans $90

Spence621

Yeah, I have 3. Got them all for $15, total. And probably another 15 to restore them (paint, sandpaper, new gaskets).
About the carrying situation, I have a perfectly good roof rack that would work, but I don't really want 120 lbs up there on top of a spare, hilift, shovel, axe and lights.

Spence621

Thanks, but that costs like 3 times more than the cans themselves haha. I think i'll stick to the methods described below. I"m not looking for them to be perfect, just functional.

thedevl

Best way to restore a Jerry can is to replace it. Yes it costs more now but what does a fuel pump cost or an injector? Fuel filters do not allways filter out everything and the smallest piece of rust can easily plug an injector. Also small particulates over time will destroy your fuel pump. Your truck, your choice. Pay now or pay later.