Jerry can restoration

maxamillion2345

I guessing "German style" = NATO cans. I think I've only ever seen one at Twin City in the last few years.

Yeah, thanks for correcting my terminology.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/DSC08456.jpg

I just picked up 3 cans from here for $98 shipped with a coupon ebay gave me
Says normal nato spouts won't fit but I'll just run a super siphon .

Looked like a good deal, hopefully I didn't just piss away a hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Spence621

I think i could spring for the interior lining so that the inside particulate wouldn't be too much of an issue. Is that true?

no-idea

check these out. looks like he rhino lined the out side. pretty cool.

aa%20(3).JPG

heres the thread off pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758718&page=3

L.D.

I just read that entire thread, that is a cool truck. and of coarce I am partiol to the stepsides myself.

Spence621

Thanks. I don't really know when I'll need a fuel range of 700 miles (300 miles per tank+ 4(100 miles/ can)), but it could come in handy ha.

MotoMatt

Thanks. I don't really know when I'll need a fuel range of 700 miles (300 miles per tank+ 4(100 miles/ can)), but it could come in handy ha.

100 miles per can? unless you run out of fuel on a road trip you are going to get probably just over 50-60 miles per each can while off road or even city driving.

Spence621

Originally Posted by wakeboardwhan
100 miles per can? unless you run out of fuel on a road trip you are going to get probably just over 50-60 miles per each can while off road or even city driving.

Well I get about 17 MPG usually, so x5 gal/can is about 100 miles per can. I know off road would be less though. But I could also use them to stock up on gas from a cheaper pump on long road trips.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Originally Posted by wakeboardwhan

Well I get about 17 MPG usually, so x5 gal/can is about 100 miles per can. I know off road would be less though. But I could also use them to stock up on gas from a cheaper pump on long road trips.

depending on the kind of offroading it can vary a lot...dirt roads and technical trails very a lot.

Spence621

So here is the primer and first coat on them. Wish I had taken a before picture, but believe me, they were in bad shape. I sanded them well, primed with "lightly rusted/ painted/bare metal" rustoleum. And then rustoleum metal red. Letting the first coat cure, then I'll hit them again. The third can is in find condition paint-wise, but the paint is a bit darker than the newly painted ones. Not a big deal, but just an observation. However, the insides of the newly painted 2 are fairly delapidated. I guess I'll go with the paint thinner washout of the inside?
IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

Bitosin

The cans look good. I'd think you would want to do the inside first tho. Paint thinner or any other solvent you put in the can might ruin the exterior paint job.

Spence621

Yeah I only cleaned them with soap, water and rocks before. I should have though about that. I'll be carefull though