JHF 2-seater build

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I retired my Unlimited single-seater last fall. It was showing it's age, was not as competitive as I would have liked to, and it was too small. While that last point made it fun on the trails, trying all kinds of crazy lines, it was pretty anti-social, as I couldn't take any passengers with me. The plan was made to build a 2 seater (possibly with a small 3rd seat in the back), that would follow Pro Mod class rules for WERock, be still small enough, and would allow me to re-use a lot of parts from the Unlimited buggy to minimize costs. After looking into designing my own and talking to a few people, I decided to have Jesse Haines build me a chassis similar to his 2010 Pro Mod Willys build. I always like the look of it, it's simple design and it's still small enough to be competitive.

IMG_2776.jpg

I don't have the chassis yet, it should be finished shortly after KOH. But I have been doing a lot of stuff in preparation for it. I had the transmission re-built, as well as modified the torque converter to work between 2.2 Ecotec and TF904 transmission.

2013-11-24 18.50.54.jpg2013-11-27 20.24.52.jpg2013-11-28 10.13.18.jpg

I am in the process of finishing the axles right now.

2013-11-24 18.50.19.jpg2013-12-19 06.55.10.jpg

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
For axles I am using Trail-Gear 9" Rock Assault housings.

Front:

• Solid Axle kingpin inner C's
  • Stock Chevy outer C's
  • 35 spline shafts machined by Branik for 50* of steering
Rear:

• Ballistic Fab weld-in spindles
  • Solid Axle 14 bolt hubs
  • Shafts will be equal length
I am re-using my third members from the Unlimited car. They are low pinion 9" third with 6.50 gears, that were run upside-down with rear-mounted engine.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Smash machined my rotors to fit over the hubs.

2014-01-22 14.08.05.jpg2014-01-22 14.08.32.jpg

Studs are pressed in and they are ready for assembly to see where the brake brackets will have to be placed.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I think that you are going to be very happy with how the new car works Denis, it looks great so far!

trupster415

Jake and jessy are fantastic fabricators. But when I'm totally ready to have my chassis built I'm having Berny from Nates persion fill my needs.. He is the fab guy and co dawg for halkenbeck

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Not my best looking welds, but the upper link mounts turned out nice. Thanks to Dr. Smash for cutting and bending the reinforcement plate from my cardboard template.

2014-02-12 06.08.56.jpg

ManNamedJed

I saw your chassis last time I was over there - it is looking good.

Are you going to go with the willy's style grille and hood too?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I saw your chassis last time I was over there - it is looking good.

Are you going to go with the willy's style grille and hood too?
Right now, I am thinking White TJ hood and grille to match my TJ. But I might do the Willys look.

ManNamedJed

It would be funny if someone saw you in the TJ, then later saw you in the buggy. "Yeah I decided to turn my TJ into a buggy, so I built this over the weekend..."

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Where is the rest of the engine? The other four cylinders??
Haha. I like finding replacement for displacement. 170HP 4banger would be enough for a light two-seater. And if I need "mo powa", turbo is very easy to do on these.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly doing a Mini Cooper front end. But, since Pro Mod class no longer requires to look like a production vehicle, I might just do something simple with flat body panels.

mini_2.jpg

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Some pics as it sits last night.

The front engine crossmember/mount is done, still have to do tranny crossmember and Atlas support ring.
2014-03-03 22.58.49.jpg2014-03-03 22.59.04.jpg2014-03-03 22.59.21.jpg2014-03-03 22.59.34.jpg2014-03-03 23.00.52.jpg