Just picked up my first 4x4 to explore with

shmumbles

Hey everyone, just picked up my first 4x4 like the title says. It's a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and had 80k miles. Right now I'm fixing a few leaks around the motor and doing some work with the rear end but am planning on lifting it, tossing on some tires, and throwing in a stereo. Was thinking of the 3.5 rock link long arm lift so if anyone has experience with this and has advice that'd be great. I'll see yall around!

Attachments

• 20201123_144447.jpg
    20201123_144447.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 9

ZJchukar

All lifts are pretty much the same in terms of install. I ran IRO on my ZJ and the only issue I had was the springs weren't even, I had to use pucks to level it out.

Welcome to the forum and I hope to see you out on the trails!

shmumbles

All lifts are pretty much the same in terms of install. I ran IRO on my ZJ and the only issue I had was the springs weren't even, I had to use pucks to level it out.

Welcome to the forum and I hope to see you out on the trails!
Thanks! I'll be out there soon

WJeeper

if you are ging to spend the $$ on long arms anyway, you should just bump the lift height up to 4.5 or 5.5. its only $100-$200 more, and would be needed to get any sort of decent tire size in the tiny wheel wells that the grand cherokees come with. I just installed the IRO 6.5 rock link kit on my WJ, with some trimming I can finaly fit 33's without rubbing.

I upgraded from a 4inch Rough Country short arm kit I've been running for about 6 years. Love the new height and the long arms.
IMG_6676.JPGIMG_6616.JPGIMG_2626.jpgIMG_6595.JPGIMG_2634.jpg

shmumbles

Right on, that looks really nice! I definitely like the height. I feel like I'm going nuts just looking at different heights and all the pros and cons lol...I'm gonna go check out some local shops and see what we can come up with that will work for me right now. Was hoping I wouldn't have to build a taller garage but we'll see..

ZJchukar

If you go that tall, you'll need to add more to your parts list. Your driveshafts likely won't be long enough not to mention you'll need an SYE for the rear output of the transfer case.

One thing leads to another and it ends up being more than you expected really quickly. I ran about 3.5 inches and had 33s no issues. I did have to trim my front fenders but that was easy.

shmumbles

Yea, looking into it I'd have to replace a bunch of stuff going taller. We'll see what works with the budget I'm setting. Thanks for the advice zjchukar

shmumbles

If I can get my act together you can buy the short arm kit off my XJ for this.
Ah thanks for the offer! I'm going after the iron rock 5.5 long arm. Have to change some things for it to work but it looks to fit my budget and after some trimming it seems I can fit some pretty big tires in there.

shmumbles

Another update, got the lift and tires on there now! Stereo and exhaust too. And new tint. I'm really happy the way it's turning out so far, thanks to some of you guys for dealing with some noob questions and helping out lol... loving it so far. About to load up and try it out in a few. Thanks again for the help, see you all on the trails and forum!

Attachments

• 20210221_080748.jpg
    20210221_080748.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 5

berminvi

Another update, got the lift and tires on there now! Stereo and exhaust too. And new tint. I'm really happy the way it's turning out so far, thanks to some of you guys for dealing with some noob questions and helping out lol... loving it so far. About to load up and try it out in a few. Thanks again for the help, see you all on the trails and forum!
Nice setup! What tires are you running on?

shmumbles

Thanks! Nitto trail grappler m/t 33x12.5 on the cheap 15's. I'm out today again figuring it all out. Not easy without someone outside spotting things for me haha... gonna have to find a group to run around with

Attachments

• 20210222_125715.jpg
    20210222_125715.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 3