Keeping control arms tight....

NevadaXJ

Ever since my lift was installed my lower control arms make horrible clunking noises. They are the ProComp non-adjustables. Quite a few times I have gotten under the Jeep and tightened them down with all my stregnth. They will stay quiet for a few days, but then they are back to clunking.... any ideas, or suggestions as to what you have used?

Connect

Lock nut washer, tack weld the nut on??? If it keeps loosening up it'll keep it, but maybe your bushing are bad.

olsen_karl

The first lift I had on my old XJ was a ProComp lift with the curved non-adjustable control arms, with red urethane bushings. Mine didn't clunk, they squeaked. I found that there's enough space in between the bushings to drill the control arm ends for grease zerks -- this helped a lot in smoothing out the travel & stopping all squeaks. Might be worth a try in your case. If you do this, use 90 degree right-angled zerks for the axle end of the control arms -- you can fit them in on the topside of the arms, where they'll be protected from trail damage.

-Karl

Connect

I don't know how old your bushings are but if they are pretty well worn they might need a replacement, I'd pick up some urethane ones and new hardware see if it still clunks after that.

PizzaJeep

most likely bad bushings... my teraflex arms do the same thing, even under acceleration versus deceleration, i can hear the bushings moving back and forth under load. i know this is the case since when i take the the arms off, the bushing and the metal cylinder that goes through it freely moves with atleast 1/8th of an inch clearance between the metal wall and the bushings.. theyre old and drying out. i would probably do something about them, but im converting to long arms soon with RE joints and bushings, so im just putting up with it for now...

NevadaXJ

The control arms themselves are very new. They were only on my friends XJ for 3 months before he upgraded, and then they sat unusued for about a year, and then they have been on my Jeep just since the lift was put on. I can't believe they would already be bad. Yes, i would like to upgrade them in the future, but I am stuck with them right now.

I do like the idea of making them greasable. Mine squeak quit a bit after getting wet, so that is an idea to another problem.

EricsXJ

NevadaXJ said:
Quite a few times I have gotten under the Jeep and tightened them down with all my stregnth.
With what... a wrench? If that is not tight enough, use a breaker bar (more leverage) just don't go too much or you could snap the bolt. You could also use locktite on the threads.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
It could possibly be due to the fact that the bushings in ProComp/similar arms don't allow for twisting/flex. These types of arms do actually destroy the control arm mount.

PizzaJeep

denis has a good point.. twisting and torquing the arms too much will easily shred the mounts, i already had some problems with that on my axles when i was running the d35s, and i still had the teraflex arms, but just the lateral force was enough to start breaking factory welds, so i had to go over it again.

on the grease idea, if you want to, just drill and tap a hole where you want the grease and then screw a zerk onto it, grease it up... call it good