Labor Day trail runs

EricsXJ

Instead of doing Dusy Ershim, which we haven't budgetted enough days for, we are going to do the Strawberry Creek and Deer Valley trails that we missed earlier this year due to too much snow. Because its a 3 day weekend, in theory we could do 3 trails instead of 2.

First you guys should check out this other right up which shows 3 trails that this group did. http://www.employees.org/~klash/dv/DeerV_00.html And if you didn't read it before, here's the California Jeeper link (read Deer Valley, Pardoes, and Slick Rock) http://www.californiajeeper.com/trail-review.htm They say Slick Rock is a short trail off HWY 4 which is close to where Deer Valley dumps out. It would be easy to camp at the end of Deer Valley or start of Slick Rock and drive home the next day. Or we could try and work in a Pardoes run, but that means back-tracking up to HWY 88. Tom mentioned possibly doing Deer Valley backwards too so that is an option to get back to Blue Lakes and HWY 88 or we could drive pavement. Heres some options for those who want to do 3 trails / 3 days. And remember, if anyone wants to hook up for part of the run, like just one of the trails, you can drive down to join us and drive home afterward for a day trip. I will warn you though it makes for a long day, but both times I did Stawberry and Deer Valley were day trips only.

Option #1
Sat - Strawberry Creek
Sun - Deer Valley
Mon - Slick Rock Road

This is ideal since Strawberry is close to Tahoe and dumps out at HWY 88 near Blue Lakes which is the start of Deer Valley. Deer Valley Dumps out at HWY 4 near the start of Slick Rock... Since Slick Rock is short, that should give us time to get home at a reasonable hour (some of us have work the next day)

Option #2
Sat - Strawberry Creek
Sun - Deer Valley, then hit Slick Rock?
Mon - Reverse Deer Valley (South to North)

This is very possible, but we should probably carry extra gas because doing Deer twice is quite a bit of driving.

Option #3
Sat - Strawberry Creek
Sun - Deer Valley, then turn around and do Deer Valley in Reverse back to Blue lakes
Mon - Pardoes?

Also very doable. I haven't done Pardoes before so not 100% sure but want to go. Same for Slick Rock though...

Option #4
Sat - Fordyce
Sun - Rubicon Tahoe to Loon
Mon - Rubicon Loon to Tahoe, hit Moonrocks on the way home

hardcore only need to apply :)

and lastly for one special person on this board...

Option #5
Sat - run JeepSpeed
Sun - run the Baja 500
Mon - Dakar Rally
Tue - back in time for Pizza Night!
;)

Seriously, if any of you guys want to get out and do some great trails that aren't too difficult but still challenging (you may get some damage) then now's your chance. You can do 1 trail as a day trip, 2 trails and camp 1 night, or 3 trails and camp 2 nights.

Last edited:

spoon

What about Barrett Lake? If you guys are heading up that way, you might want to check that trail out. Its more difficult than Strawberry, Deer Valley or Pardoes, but definitely do-able with 33's. Six miles in and six miles out. Should be able to run it in a day no problem. I haven't checked the status of the gate, whether it is open or not, but I imagine that the FS does have it open.

EricsXJ

Barrett is still closed as of July 27th but will probably be open by then. We had it on the schedule for Aug 20th, but I think if we did it then, not many people (on this board) would be up for going to Strawberry / Deer two weeks later. Maybe I'm wrong. We've passed up going to Strawberry and Deer several times this year and I'm going no matter what on Labor Day weekend. Running Barrett with Strawberry and Deer might be an option, but I was under the impression that Barrett was further away so didn't think of combining it with these runs.

spoon

Barrett is off of Hwy 50 on Wrights Lake road, just down from Strawberry a few miles. Just thought that I would suggest running it fairly soon since they are so fussy about the gate. The wheeling season on that trail is short so you need to hit it while its open. Chances are if you wait until later in September, you'll get locked out. Barrett would be fun in a rig with 33's. The terrain is no more difficult than average sections of the 'con. Just thought i'd suggest it. You can run Strawberry or Deer Valley pretty much anytime before the snow flies, but with Barrett you got only that small window to hit in the late summer.

EricsXJ

Dates are:

9/03 Sat
9/04 Sun
9/05 Mon (Labor Day)

Also, the calendar is showing Pizza Night as the Friday just before, 9/02...

EricsXJ

Sent you a PM Cutthroat.

We are doing this run so if anyone else is planning on going they should let us know here (or you can PM me).

The plan is to do Option #1 that I posted at the beginning of this thread:

Option #1
Sat - Strawberry Creek
Sun - Deer Valley
Mon - Slick Rock Road

xjmoser

Ive got family coming to town so im only doing the sunday (Deer Vally trail) run if anyone wants to go down with me on sunday. We will meet at 5:00am so we can get there early. This will be a all day event so bring food and water. Dont forget the bug spray :D

Connect

Yea I like xjmoser's plan, hopefully I'll have new tires mounted and ready to roll, tighten some stuff up and hit the road. Come down for sunday if I'm not already down.

PizzaJeep

i vote rubicon all the way... on account of the fact that then youd be able to hang with me an joe the toe along with the canyon crawlers and a couple others

xjmoser

PizzaJeep said:
i vote rubicon all the way... on account of the fact that then youd be able to hang with me an joe the toe along with the canyon crawlers and a couple others

Boy are you confused about who needs to hang out with who. :rolleyes:

EricsXJ

OK - if anyone is planning on running Strawberry Creek with me on Saturday, they need to let me know so we can coordinate departure time and meeting place etc...

xjmoser, Cutthroat, and I think blackwidow, are heading down Sunday morning. Check with Tom on the details of that as he's planning on leaving around 5:00 am for an early start. We'll tentatively plan on meeting at the Deer Valley trail head at 8:00 am and should definitely be on the trail by 8:30 am or so. I will try to get a campsite at Lower Blue Lake but might not with the Holiday weekend. If not, I'll be camping close by, so hit me up on CB Channel 4 (go to 5 if theres a lot of chatter on 4).

Here are the directions to Blue Lakes which is where the Deer Valley trail head is:

Take 395 South to Minden / Gardnerville. (You should probably top off your tank there). Head South on Hwy 88 (which is just before you turn into Minden). At 14 miles you'll pass Woodfords - keep going straight. After another 6 miles you'll pass the turn-off to Hwy 89 on your right - keep going straight. In 1 or 2 miles, there will be a paved road on your Left with a sign to Blue Lakes. Turn here and follow it about 10 miles or so and it will take you directly to Lower Blue Lake. The Deer Valley trail head is right there at the South end of the lake. There should be a small sign there. If you don't call me on the CB thats where I'll be at 8:00 am (unless I sleep in!). :)

Last edited:

Fish Sticks

Moser,
You going to pizza night? If you are I'll bring your spare axles. If not I'll catch you and Blackwidow sunday morning.
I'll take a complete spare steering setup and a spare rear driveline (hack'n'tap style). Shouldn't need 'em but somebody might get all dizzy and go hardcore.